Monday, September 28, 2015

New Aquisition & A Gift

Last week I stopped by a local antique store on a whim - not very hopeful that I'd find anything that called out to me. But SURPRISE~! That's exactly what happened! I have wanted a vintage wooden shoe rack for years and years but all the ones I've seen were too big and too expensive. Imagine my delight when I stumbled upon this item near the end of my loop through the store. It was just the right size and just the right price. I paid for it, then drove home to get the truck while the employees dismantled the display that was on it. I got it in the house and found the perfect spot for it, then threw on some of my wooden bowls, trays and quilts to decorate it. I love my new treasure and am so happy I found it! Kinda funny, because hubby still hasn't even noticed that it's there! LOL



My brother is getting married in a week or so. They are combining two complete households, so I knew there was nothing I could buy them for a gift that they would actually NEED. So I decided to make them a quilted table runner for the dining room.


Dresden Plate blocks are always fun to make - these have 20 blades and it was a treat to choose the different colors and prints to use for them.


I changed thread colors for each section as I quilted it - don't know if that's how the professionals do it - but it worked for me on this small project.


I know that my future sister-in-law likes copper so I found this pretty bowl at another antique store and bought it - then added the ball of artificial greenery for a splash of color and texture to complete the gift.


I found a pretty basket to place everything in and will wrap it with clear cellophane and tie it closed with strips of fabric & lace to make a nice presentation.


I actually added a label to the back too - ran muslin through my printer - then went over the lettering with a fine line Sharpie marker. It was pretty easy to do and I need to do it with ALL the quilts I make. Sure hope they like it when they receive it!


I'm not a huge fan of mysteries, but I just read this book and enjoyed it.



17 comments:

annie said...

Great post!
I really loved the rack!
And that runner, so very pretty!
I hope they'll be very happy together!

Janet O. said...

Wow--what a find! Love it, Gayle. Funny that Barry hasn't noticed. Sounds like what would happen at my house. : )
Trying to visualize where in the house you have tucked it.
The runner turned out just beautiful. Such rich colors, with that copper bowl--perfect!
Have you got your "Country Roads" put together yet?

WoolenSails said...

That is a nice find, love the old racks and they are great to add our favorite things to.
The table runner is beautiful and I am sure they will love it.

Debbie

Quilting Stories said...

Well Gayle, you found a real treasure here! How exciting! Your table runner is so nice, perfect present.

Three Sheep Studio said...

I used to dream of making a Dreasden Plate quilt for each of my girls. That never came about ! Funny, how when your are raising children, you just don't have the time ! Yours is beautiful.
Nice find at the antique store.
Rose

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Wonderful gift--to be treasured for a lifetime. Men are so funny--the cat notices changes before hubby!

Yvonne said...

What a great gift you made! I am sure they are going to love it! Love, love your show rack! What a great find. Recognizable that your hub did not notice it! That happens here all the time! The next Cabin Fever Quilt Retreat will be in March! You will love it!

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

I bought a larger shoe rack many years ago. It was in perfect shape and cheap! I keep my collection of yellow ware bowls on it. I like the size of the one you found! Great find!

Cathy said...

That is a wonderful find. I too have always wanted one. The ones I find were always too expensive. I love how you have put yours to use. Hugs, Cathy

Rugs and Pugs said...

Gayle,
I just love your shoe rack. Has hubby noticed it yet?
Beautiful wedding gift.
Hugs :)
Lauren

audrey said...

What a great gift for those who have everything! Very thoughtful and cozy.:) Love your new/old shoe rack! I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those.

moosecraft said...

Love the shoe rack and how you added to it! Great find! Excellent idea to gift the runner with the copper bowl... perfect match and looks fabulous!

Farm Girl said...

What a great find! I love your table topper. It is wonderful and so is the copper bowl. I am not familiar with the author but the title looks great. I think everything just looks wonderful.

Me and My Stitches said...

Lucky you - your shoe rack was a great find! Too funny that your husband hasn't noticed! Wonderful gift for your brother and new SIL - perfect for a couple who doesn't need much - nothing better than a thoughtful, hand-made gift.

Jeanette Hobbs said...

Love the table runner. I am so happy that you got your shoe rack! That made me smile.

Sue SA said...

What a great display piece, I wonder how long it will take for your husband to notice it! Love your table runner, nice gift idea for the couple that has everything twice!

Lori said...

What a neat gift and so personal!! I hope by now your husband has noticed the stand! LOL