Monday, January 21, 2013

Abundance of Stuff

Last week Lori - who blogs at Humble Quilts - showed a sweet vintage doll quilt that she wanted to reproduce, so she planned to post instructions on how to do it. The first section was posted this morning. But last week when she mentioned that the finished size of the quilt was 12" square, I quickly did the math and pulled fabrics from my stash - got it pieced on Saturday - and on Sunday I quilted it by machine and stitched on the binding. DONE! I really had to chuckle while I worked on this because I auditioned many, many different pieces of fabric to find just the right ones and I realized that the lady who made the original years and years ago probably had very little choice for her fabric selection. How times have changed, huh? Anyway, here is my version of Lori's little quilt she calls Abundance - - - -

I can't seem to post a picture of the original quilt, or her new reproduction, so you'll have to visit her blog to view them here. Fun project! I used a cotton batting, but now that it's done I wish I had used a piece of white flannel for the batting instead to make it more flimsy. Oh well.

Over the weekend I also completed the newest 4" block from Pam Burda's stitch along.

I have been seeing this version of a tumbler quilt on Pinterest and on other quilt blogs. I guess there is a special template you can buy to make it, but I tried my Dresden Plate template and it worked perfectly.

It's a fun little quilt too! It's all sandwiched and pin basted, and I decided how to quilt it while I was sleeping last night, so hopefully I can get it finished soon.

22 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Gayle ~
I love all your quilty things!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Amy McPheeters said...

All these are wonderful, but my favorite part of this post is you deciding how to quilt that last one while you were sleeping last night!

Three Sheep Studio said...

Every time I go to the Textile Show in Lancaster County, I see these lovely Tumbler Quilts.
I am so attracted to them.
Yours is beautiful !
I understand fully about the "while you were sleeping last night". ;)
Rose

Laurel said...

I love that little Abundance!

Julia said...

Talk about not loosing time, quilting in your sleep, lol
Your quilts looks wonderful.
Thanks for sharing this.
JB

Raymond Homestead said...

You have been busy! So true about how we spend so much time picking out just the right colors when like you said, many were made with whatever they had on hand.

jody said...

well Gayle, looks like you had a productive weekend! good for you and lots of fun quilts and fabric! enjoy your day!!

regan said...

Abundance looks great! Too funny...we are so alike. I simply can't wait sometimes to work on a 'group' project or a SAL. lol

Cammie said...

Gayle, I love them all. Sometimes we do our best thinking while trying to sleep! Lol!
~Cammie~

Janet O. said...

Look at you go--finishing a quilt before the instructions are even posted! WOW! I still haven't pulled my fabrics.
Pam's little blocks are so cute--and tempting. : )
Great tumbler quilt, Gayle.

Me and My Stitches said...

Geesh - you are a serious over-achiever - having Lori's quilt done before the instructions even come. You go girl - keep pumping out those quilts!

Anonymous said...

Love your little Abundance quilt! I cut my pieces last night and started sewing today but I am thinking I will at least finish piecing the top tomorrow. Just can't wait! Yours turned out beautifully!

Nedra said...

You have been busy, Gayle! Nice to see the quilts in addition to all of the rug hooking you do.

annie said...

just wonderful Gayle!

Jeanne said...

Your little quilt looks terrific! I like the little blocks from Pam Buda's sew along, too. I haven't started those yet.

antique quilter said...

lyour version of ori's quilt is adorable, good fabric choices! ah yes I love my crumbler quilt and it was fun to use this layout for mine, I have used my dresden ruler to make a tumbler red and white quilt.
what I like about the tumbler quilts besides being fun to make and how easy they are, is how they can change the look from skinny to chunky mattering which ruler/template you use.
Kathie

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

You have been so busy. I can not get in the mood to sew lately. I cleaned my sewing room yesterday, thinking it might help get me in the mood. I usually finish projects, but must admit I have more unfinished quilts than I have ever had. I have got to get back to it. Yours are so sweet!
hugs,
Jann

Karen said...

I like the fabrics you chose for Lori's Abundance. And I love your coffin quilt, as I call it. I had to enlarge the picture to see how it was pieced. If you had done it as a coffin shape, I would think it would have to be hand pieced. Good idea to use your Dresden template.

Jennie in GA said...

GREAT job on your little quilt from Lori. Perfect colors.

Jennie in GA said...

GREAT job on your little quilt from Lori. Perfect colors.

Quilting Babcia said...

What a sweet version of the 'abundance' quilt!

Cheryl said...

Abundantly cute! Love that tumbler as well.