Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Gameboards

I have a small collection of gameboards that are displayed in the stairwell of my home. None of them are old, or valuable, but they make a nice graphic statement on the wall. I have made several of them myself using different mediums. Of course it's a really ackward place to get a good photo, but here's my best shot. Looking UP the stairs:



And looking DOWN the stairs:




And here are some close ups so you can see them better. I hooked this parchessi board years ago and it was a fun one. Love the colors I used - if I remember right, all the wools were as-is.



This little quilt is a backgammon board and I made it just last week. I drafted out the pattern and then pieced it on foundation papers. I had a hard time choosing fabrics and colors so that the design would show up properly. It's not perfect, but it'll do.



I won this checkerboard in an online giveaway a couple years ago - the gal who made it did a great job of distressing it to make it look aged.



The Chinese checkerboard came from the thrift store. I just added some color to it to give it more interest.



This punch needle checkerboard is the smallest item on the wall. I like the stars I added in the border.



This gameboard is one from the thrift store - I think it was once available from Tenderheart Treasures, and I'm not even sure what kind of gameboard it is!



I made this checkerboard years and years ago - my kids actually played with it on occasion. The heart cutouts really make it look dated, but I still like it.


6 comments:

Kim said...

That is a wondeful collection Gayle. Very striking going up the stairwell (or down too I guess). It is a perfect location to highlight a collection.

Lori said...

So cute! I love your gameboard wall!!

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Gayle, I love your gameboards! I see a lot of people hang them in the halls or stairwells. I think that really gives such areas a big visual lift.
My favorite is the hooked parcheesi borad and the little punchneedle, although the quilted backgammon one is really nice too! You did a great job on them!
Enjoy the rest of your week!~Carolyn

Karen~The Barely There Primitive Bear said...

I love your gameboards, especially
the needlepunch and hooked ones...
You did a great job! I have a few
wooden ones in my hallway, I should make some more....TFS

Bear Hugs~Karen

Karen said...

I like that you have added handmade gameboards" in with the real ones. It makes a unique display.

Taryn said...

I am partial to the hooked parchesi board. I bought a kit for Polly Minnick's version but it is still in the box it arrived in. Sigh, one day...