Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Bluebird of Happiness

My dear friend and her husband are currently living in Toronto for 18 months while serving a church mission. I know she misses her rug hooking terribly, and I'm sure she took some small rugs with her to make her small apartment feel homey. I wanted to make her a special little something so she'd know that she's missed and thought of often. I got the pattern for this little 3D bird from a recent issue of Create & Decorate magazine. It hooked up pretty good, but things went south when I started stitching the pieces together so I could stuff it. Hopefully when she looks at it she'll see the love it was made with, instead of the puckers and globs of glue. I told her it was the Bluebird of Happiness and he was going to be watching over her till she comes home again. He's flying to Toronto tomorrow!


A few days ago I shared pictures of Carol's rugs and mentioned that I really liked her paisley one. Here is a picture of a paisley that I hooked a few years ago. The seat is sorta like a piano bench with a lid that lifts open, and it was in terrible condition when I bought it at the thrift store for $4. I painted and distressed the wood, and hooked a new cover to replace the awful stained one that came with it. MUCH better now!

10 comments:

Marilyn said...

Gayle, Don't disparage your beautiful little bird. SHE will be THRILLED!!!!!! It is sweet as well as pretty in my book. And your little stoole is wonderful! You ae such an inspiration to me.

Marilyn said...

Hi again, good grief, who wrote the last post? (It was ME) I know how to spell stool and are--just wanted you to know I really do.

Cathy G. said...

Oh Gayle,
I think the blue bird is adorable! When made for friends it is even more special. The bench is wonderful! Love the paisley! Cathy G

Barb said...

Your little bird is cute and love teh little bench....

Aunt Polly's Attic said...

Love your little birdie, Gayle! And that stool is veryyyyyyyyyy nice too!

Teresa

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Love the bird, and how sweet of you to do that for her. She will treasure it. Your stool is awesome too. Nice job!!

Nedra said...

I know Nancy will be so thrilled to receive such a thoughtful present. How nice!

Mimi Sue said...

I've got a thing about cute little birds. And that one sure is. Mimi

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

What a sweet and thoughtful gift! I know how hard it is to put that stuff together - I did a punchneedle doll that gave me fits! Your friend will love it.
Your paisley bench cover is wonderful!

Charlotte said...

I think it's an adorable little bird.