Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Fun Day of Rug Hooking at Sharon's House


Today my rug hooking group had our monthly meeting at my friend Sharon's house. She lives in a wonderful old home that has been turned into a primitive haven. Her taste in decorating is impeccable, and her hubby is so talented at making cool stuff and fixing up the place. They are the perfect couple and complement each other so well. She gave me permission to share pictures of her home and yard, so sit back and enjoy! I'll start the tour outside, and then we'll head indoors.



I took this next picture of the front of the house while I was standing out on the sidewalk. You can't see it in the picture, but there is one of those old wrought iron fences along the property line. The kind of fence that you'd pay a fortune for at an antique store. LOVE that covered front porch - it's so perfect for sitting on to enjoy a cool summer breeze - or watching a summer lightening storm!

These pictures were taken on the sides of the house, and in the backyard too.



These little stepping stones are imprinted with the feet of all of their grandchildren. How fun!

This is the old garage in the back yard where we did our hooking. I've never seen another garage like it - not a greasy tool or piece of junk in sight! LOL The walls are paneled with pine boards, and there are comfy metal chairs to sit in and old chicken crates used for tables.

















OK. Now lets head inside! Here's the front entryway. A grand staircase leading upstairs is off to the right. See that coffee grinder on the desk? It's just one of many - Ernie has a wonderful collection of them - I don't think I got them all, but you'll see more of them as we go. Also notice all the wood mashers - they're everywhere!


The living room and dining room.



































































Kitchen. I first met Sharon at a hook-in and I thought she was a nice enough lady. A few months later I ran into her at an antique show where she was buying this antique farmhouse table. That's when I knew I needed to get to know her better - with taste like that I knew she was a special person! I love how she has open shelving in the kitchen, and the exposed brick walls. The ceiling is probably 10-12 feet tall and has stained lathe boards on it.





















































Here's the hooking room. She has a great stash of wool! A couple punchneedle pieces that she's made - and some small trivets that she hooked using artwork provided the by her grandchildren.











































She has a great collection of vintage rug beaters hanging in the bathroom over the claw foot tub. Is there anything better for a rug hooker to collect? I think NOT!






And here is her wonderful craft room. Sharon has tons of dried flowers that she works with- she does some altered art - paints - is a book maker - and has many other talents


































Perhaps you'd like to see the projects that we were working on. Here is Sandy's proddy sunflower rug. The background is a yummy purple color that she dyed herself using grape kool aid! The pattern was designed by a local gal.

Victoria has been hooking longer than all the rest of us and has made dozens of beautiful rugs. Today she was working on a simple star design.
















Sharon was finishing the edge of this long floral runner she made - it will eventually find a home on the fireplace mantel in the living room.



I'm almost finished with my second stair riser rug. Hooray! Slowly, but surely I'm gettin' there!







So now I've shared my day with you. Tomorrow I have another rug hooking meeting with another group. We meet at the library, so there won't be a yummy home tour involved, but I'll try to snap pictures of the rugs that are there.

10 comments:

Primitive Peddlers said...

Definitely a wonderful and beautiful home! Thanks for the tour!

Cathy ♥

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Wonderful yard, wonderful home, wonderful antiques and collections, wonderful projects- just a wwonderful tour! Perfect way to start my bloggy day!!

hugs, Linda

whitey said...

WOW! Love the stepping stones.

The Wool Cupboard said...

Gayle, Thank you for the wonderful tour of a great primitive home. Love the hooked rugs, too!

Blake said...

I'm Sharon's daughter. Thank you for sharing a bit of my world. I miss that little bit of heaven on earth.

Charlotte said...

I REALLY love the house. I want to live in a cute old house like that, especially with the brick wall. I am also impressed that you like the decore so much without every nook and cranny stuffed full. Maybe you can go for the open and airy look at your house!

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

WHat a beautiful home! Thanks for sharing!

Marilyn Bohn said...

Gayle,
THANK YOU so much for the tour. I am having a great time but it made it better to be able to see Sharon's home. All along I thought it was going to be at Sandy's.

My daughter is in Mahone Bay Nova Scoita and she called and said she was in a house (that is a business)with every room filled with rug hooking things. She bought me a pattern ready to hook that is 3 sail boats--I am bound to do all hooked rugs by the sea. Someday I hope it will be me living by the sea.

Have a FABULOUS time in Portgual--I know you will.

THANK YOU again, Marilyn

Stephanie said...

I'm Sharon's other daughter!! I have always been jealous of my mom's home! :) She's a VERY talented lady!!!!

Jean @ www.thebackyardbungalow.com said...

Hey Gayle! Need home. Of course, you know I love the mashers and coffee grinders! And I looove your stair runner rugs!! super cool!