Saturday, February 1, 2014

Blues & Books

I made the four side blocks for Lori's Midwinter Blues sewalong quilt. Haven't trimmed them down to the right size yet, but will do that later - I have a feeling that some of my points are going to be cut off - but Lori prefers humble quilts so it's okay with me too.

Yesterday I received a new rug hooking book in the mail that I had been anticipating. Just as I love to make scrappy quilts, I also love to make scrappy rugs - so this one sounded really good to me.  What I didn't realize that Bea Brock is the author and all the rugs are her designs. She uses colors that are clear and bright - rather than the darker and dirtier shades that I seem to prefer - but I still think this will be a valuable addition to my library. I got to meet Bea in person a few years ago when I attended Gene Shepherd's rug camp at Cambria Pines - she had accompanied her friend Susan Quicksall who was my teacher - nice lady!

I've shared pictures before of my family rug that's been a work in progress for at least five years. I recently learned about a book that I think would help me figure out what I want to do with it and get it finished, but I'm having a hard time finding a copy. If anyone has this book and would be willing to sell it to me, I'd love to buy it from you. The title is The Pictorial Rug by Jane Halliwell. Please leave a comment, or send me an email if you can help me out.

And one more book related blurb - I seem to have lost my library card for the first time in my life. I slipped the card into my back pocket the last time I used it instead of putting it back in my wallet. It must have fallen out cuz I can't find it anywhere. Guess I'll have to go get a replacement - wonder if I'll be charged a fee? It'll be worth it though - I probably make a trip to the library every couple of weeks - LOVE it there!

17 comments:

Lesley said...

Love your midwinter blues quilt!

Glenda said...

The 2009 edition of the pictorial rug hooking book is available on amazon . The book like you posted is a 2001 and is more expensive. I am not sure what the difference is the covers are different.

Karen said...

I haven't made any of Lori's blocks yet but I am sure I will lose points too.

The pictorial rug books looks good. I am very attracted to that style of design.

Janet O. said...

Your Midwinter Blues looks so good, Gayle. I think I had at least five of the blues you used out on my cutting table when I was choosing my fabrics. : )
I love the look of that pictorial rug. Hope someone can help you find the book. The marketplace sellers on Amazon want an arm and a leg for it!

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

Love those two new stars! Wonderful! And the blue and tan blocks are so pretty...nice job!

The Wool Cupboard said...

Love the fabrics you have used in the midwinter blues quilt, Gayle...great color plan with definite antique feel.

Hugs, Linda

The Wool Cupboard said...

Love the fabrics you have used in the midwinter blues quilt, Gayle...great color plan with definite antique feel.

Hugs, Linda

Sue SA said...

Your blocks look good, I hope the points survive! Sorry cannot help with rug hook books, all mine are ancient sourced from the second hand shop. I love the library too, what's not to like about endless free books! Last time I "lost" my library card it was in one of the pockets of the many library bags I alternate. Did you check the washing machine?

Julia said...

Sorry about the lost library card. Could it be in a pocket of another jacket you wore that day?

You are so productive with those quilt blocks. I love that midwinter blues quilt.

I had ordered a pictorial rug hooking book from Amazon but they were out at the time and I didn't reorder.
I hope that you can find one.
Hugs,
JB

Kyle said...

Your blocks for Midwinter's Blue are the colors we've had here the last few days. Great choices. The points won't be gone, just undercover.

Lori said...

I am a big library user too!! Love your midwinter blocks. If you look close at my top, I've got a few points missing too:) Good luck on the hunt for the rug book

Brandie said...

I see you are working on the same quilt. It's beautiful!
Good lucking finding that book and your library card.

Yvonne said...

Nice looking blocks you are making. Hope you will find the book, I love the rug shown at the cover.

Kindred Quilts said...

Loving your Midwinter Blues! Lori's QAL's are so much fun! Keep in mind that perfection is overrated... missing points add character!!!

Cathy said...

I looked at your Midwinter blues and thought I was seeing double....They look just like mine....lol I think we used the same fabrics. Hugs

annie said...

great post!
love the cover on the book, hope you find one!

Barb said...

your QAL looks great. I'm missing points too :)
I love hooked rugs - great project!