Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Whew!

I've had a busy few days, but yesterday I was finally able to complete the top of my Midwinter Blues quilt that Lori has so generously shared with the blogging community as a sew along project. It's been really fun to see all the different versions of this and I'm sure she'll have a link party eventually so we won't miss any of them.

For the last two weeks I've been making a denim quilt for my son-in-law and now it's finished just in time for his birthday on Feb. 14th. My daughter had all the denim and about ten different flannel prints for the back of the squares, but she had never gotten around to making it. Since she's so busy with the new baby I offered to provide the labor and sew it up. I spent an hour at the laundromat this morning getting it washed so the raw edges would fray and here it is. I've made quite a few of these through the years, but I forgot how heavy all that denim gets while running it through the machine - luckily I didn't break a single needle! Yay!

Yesterday I took a few minutes and made a simple little postcard quilt to send to my mom for Valentine's Day - these are so fun and easy to make - and I know she'll enjoy getting it in the mail.

I've been making 3/4" hexies in the evenings while I watch TV - not sure yet of exactly what I'm going to do with them - but I'll be prepared when the inspiration hits me! LOL

Here are the latest stars I've made for the Temecula sew along. I've got quite a stack of these now and am so curious about how we're going to be putting them together!


I had a very fun outing with my two daughters on Saturday when we went for Afternoon Tea at the Grand America in SLC - have been wanting to do this for quite awhile.

21 comments:

Lesley said...

Love your midwinter blues quilt! Gorgeous!

Yvonne said...

Do you ever have time to sleep Gayle? You really have been busy with some awsome things! Georgeous quilt and the ragtime must have been a lot of work!

Sue SA said...

3 great finishes and two lovely WIP, you have done well! Love the tiny hexis, I am sure you will be inspired soon. I haven't made one fussy cut star and wasn't intending to, but somehow Monday I brought the perfect fabric just in case I wanted to!!

Doniene said...

Oh my, Gayle, you have been a busy little beaver! And what wonderful projects you have going!! That postcard is adorable - what a sweet gesture for you mom!! You Temecula stars are aaaaamaaaazing!!! Love them. Midwinter blues is lovely - the sashing fabric is scrumptious - what a great collection of blues!!

Hugs and Blessings!

Lori said...

Fantastic quilts!!

Raymond Homestead said...

My son got a denim quilt from the church when he graduated. It is really heavy and warm!

Sue said...

I Love all of your quilt projects ! The midwinter blues quilt came out gorgeous ! I really like the sashing you used Very nice !

Janet O. said...

You found the perfect sashing for Midwinter blues! And you had enough of it!! *LOL*
Beautiful job, and I love the border fabric, too.
The denim quilt looks very warm--those are a lot of heavy work! You didn't break a single needle? That is amazing!
What a sweet little Valentine.
I think all of those hexies are trying to make another star quilt. : )
Was the tea amazing?

Kindred Quilts said...

I love your sashing and border on Midwinter Blues! What a fun quilt-a-long Lori organized for all of us!
My son has a denim quilt that an aunt of mine made for him... warm, heavy, and a favorite!
Very adorable valentine postcard for your Mom!
Can't wait to see what happens to all those hexies... and your Temecula stars are gorgeous!!!

Me and My Stitches said...

Whew is right! You have really been productive! Love your midwinter blues - that sashing was a perfect choice. Aren't rag quilts fun? And wrestling with all that heavy denim gives you a good workout (skip the gym!). Can't wait to see what you do with those cute little hexies. I see some nice fussy cutting in them and the stars.

Julia said...

I love the midwinter quilt and that denim quilt too and I bet your son will be thrilled. It looks so warm.

Take care and happy quilting.
Hugs,
JB



Kyle said...

The sashing is what caught my eye in the midwinter blues quilt. It's really adds to the whole design. Gosh, I can't believe you making such big hexies this time.;0). The denim quilt looks huge. I'm surprised you could lift it when it was wet. It will be a great gift! You've had a productive week.

Three Sheep Studio said...

Beautiful quilts Gayle.
Looks like you make hexis like I cut wool pennies !! By the dozens. ;)
Your grandson's denim quilt is so very nice.
Rose

Karen said...

The sashing fabric in the Midwinter quilt is such a good choice and all comes together with your choice of border fabric. Well done.

Saundra said...

Love the denim quilt and so will he. Oh my gal but you have patience when it comes to quilting. And those hexes! Now that is some intense cutting and sewing.

Saundra

Sylvia said...

Midwinter blues is beautiful! You are such a good mom to finish the rag time quilt and a wonderful daughter to make your mom such a loving postcard.
I hate sewing Lemoyne stars. You do a beautiful job. And I can't wait to see what you do with your little hexies.
Nice to see you still had time for tea.

Nedra said...

Years ago I did the Grand Tea with my mom. Happy memories :) And you have been one busy lady!

Michelle said...

Love your two blue quilts! I've always wanted to make a denim quilt. Your hexis are adorable!

Cathy said...

Love your Midwinter Blues. You have some beautiful projects lined up. Hugs

Mimi Sue said...

So fun to get a few things done! How was that afternoon tea? I've always wanted to see what it's like.

The Wool Cupboard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.