Friday, February 28, 2014

Assorted

I've been working on several different projects that I can share pictures of. First up - I got my anvil quilt totally finished. The blocks are 3" and the finished size is 16" x 31". 

I have it displayed on a hanging rack beneath a giant shelf unit attached to the wall at the top of my stairs.

I quilted it on my sewing machine with an all over Baptist Fan pattern. It's far from perfect, but I kinda like the curved quilting with the angular piecing.

This is little pincushion I made from a strip of wool rolled up into a coil and embellished with little flowers. It's topped with a pin I made to go with it. I took a corsage pin and smashed the head of it off with a hammer. Then, using Sculpey clay I shaped the flower & leaf to match the stitched version and attached them to the pin and baked them in the oven according to package instructions. This was a gift for a dear friend and I think she liked it! I want to make some more.

I've been making lots of hexies and have sewn some into the traditional Grandmother's Flower Garden setting.  Each flower is getting stitched onto it's own square of fabric and we'll see what happens after that. Also wanted to show you my new quilty mug. I'm a big water drinker. Have had a giant mug of ice water constantly by my side for years and years. When I saw this version in a newspaper ad last week I had to go check it out. It's stainless steel and insulated. So far it works great, but it is quite a bit smaller than my old one so I have to fill it several times throughout the day.

Have started making some scrappy basket blocks - I believe this version is called cake stand. Quite a lot of work for a 4" block but I like it.

And I've also been doing a bit of rug hooking. Have one rug ready to finish the edge on so I bought some red wool yarn at JoAnn Fabrics to whip it with but it was way too bright. Threw it in my electric fry pan and toned it down a bit with some brown dye and now it's just the right color, though I'm not sure you can really see the difference in this picture.  Hope to get it all done over the weekend.

I finally decided on the last border of my family rug and will be using circles and stripes. This rug is very scrappy - just like the quilts I like to make.

So that's what I've been up to the last few days.

24 comments:

The Eveningstitcher said...

Hi Gayle! Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. Your blog is beautiful and I love the quilts you have made! I'm not a quilter, but I love quilts! I wish you lived closer...I would put another chair in the room just for you!! Thanks again!

Lesley said...

I love everything here! Your little quilt is adorable! And that pin cushion is so neat! Great idea to attach your hexies to squares. Baskets are awesome, and that rug is stunning...did I miss anything? Love seeing what you do!

audrey said...

Love how your anvil quilt turned out! Perfect way to display it! And those basket blocks? Too sweet.:)

regan said...

Fantastic post, Gayle! I love everything you're working on! Awesome!

Janet O. said...

Oh, that anvil quilt is wonderful. I LOVE Baptist Fan quilting. It looks great, Gayle! And that rack you have hung it on is gorgeous!
Cute, cute little pincushion! How clever to make a matching pin. That is an adorable little gift.
Your GFG blocks are sweet. How many blocks will you have all together?
LOVE the basket blocks--no surprise there, right?
You have been incredible productive--and you haven't even been stuck at home sick! How do you do it?? : )
Wonderful post--as usual!

Janet O. said...

p.s.--I meant "incredibly" productive. : )

Sue SA said...

That is the cutest pin cushion, what a great idea, especially good use of scraps! The little anvil quilt is lovely, baptist fan is such a nice quilting pattern, I think it really suits. What a variety of craft you have been working on! The rug hooking design looks good, got to love scrappy no matter what the medium!

Yvonne said...

So many fun things you are working on. The little quilt is darn cute and I love the way it is hanging there beneath those shelves with the cutest houses.

Karen said...

The anvil blocks are well made and so tiny. A nice little quilt in good colors.

Kindred Quilts said...

"So that's what I've been up to the last few days..." Really? The last few days? You are SUPERWOMAN!!!
Well I love it all! The Anvil quilt looks very much at home hanging from the shelf... which by the way I am very envious of!
The wool pincushion... what a great little gift! I may steal that idea from you... I need a gift by Monday evening!
I love basket blocks... they are a bit more work, but so worth it!

Sandy said...

The last few days?!? That would be more like months and months of work at my house - HA ha!!
I LOVE your anvil quilt, and yes the Baptist Fan motif is perfect. And I love the way its displayed.
You've got me itching to do some sewing, but my Bernina is at the Doctor ~

Doniene said...

And every project is a winner in my book!! Love that little quilt - so cute!! And the wool pincushion - adorable!! Your rugs are always beautiful - Love visiting and seeing what you're up to!!

Blessings and hugs!

Kyle said...

So many wonderful things? You've accomplished a lot. I love the solution to the last border of your family rug, controlled whimsy.

The Wool Cupboard said...

Gayle, I LOVE your little quilt. Your colors are beautiful. I also loved the pin cushion...too cute!
Can't wait to see your rugs finished.

Hugs, Linda

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I love that anvil quilt! The pattern, the fabrics, the quilting ... all are simply fabulous!

As a new addict to EPP and hexies, I love your GFG.

Your Cake Stand basket quilt is coming along ... such pretty fabrics ... that pattern is also on my list ... as I always say, so many quilts, so little time. ha!

Cheryl said...

Lovely projects! Your scrappy baskets are the best.

Me and My Stitches said...

You have been busy, as always! Your anvil quilt looks just perfect on that rack (which is really wonderful!). And what a creative pin cushion! Love how you made the pin to match - so clever. The GFG blocks would have taken me a month to make! I made one and it took HOURS - decided I have not got enough time for that. I can't wait to see your rug when it's finished.

jody said...

My gosh Gayle you sure get alot done! Love love your quilts, shelf, rug, way to tone down your yarn and the adorable pin cushion... Geez i better get something done today! Actually got two quilts cut out yesterday so will probley sew today...enjoy your say!!

Lori said...

All of this in the past few days? Lol nice work Gayle! I adore each project!!

Jo said...

LOVE your little Anvil blocks! Scrappier than mine, very cute:0) You have some wonderful projects going on. Very nice!

Three Sheep Studio said...

You are always involved in many lovely things Gayle !
Love the sweet little pin cushion.
Great job in toning down the red yarn. Your quilt is beautiful ;)
Rose

Cathy said...

I love your anvil quilt. The quilting is very nice. Your little Baskets are fantastic. Like you said a lot of work but they will be worth it. Hugs

Gayle Bong said...

Yep, That Anvil quilt is on my to do list. Just like that. In my head for a while too. Love it.

Bisous Ve said...

Nice to meet Gayle ...
I saw with my great pleasure that you joined my followers, America waw!
I follow you with pleasure and congratulations for your wonderful blog ...
A hug and a kiss
Love et bisous Ve