Saturday, February 5, 2011

I Hooked a Purse

I hooked this brightly colored purse at least three years ago, and it's been languishing in the UFO pile ever since because I was intimidated by finishing it. After making the footstool for my mother-in-law, I realized I could use the same technique to sew the seams together by whipping with yarn, so I pulled it out and got it done in just a couple days.


This fabric started the whole project and is the fabric I used for the lining of the purse. I added a couple pockets to the lining so I would have a place to tuck my camera & cell phone and not have to fish around for them in the bottom of the purse.


The purse was hooked in one piece.


I was afraid that some of the loops might pull out during normal use - and it would be impossible to access them for repairs after the lining was sewn it - so I coated the entire back surface with this glue stuff and I think it will hold up just fine now. (stinky stuff!)


A fun project - do you think it's bright enough? At least it will go with whatever I happen to be wearing! LOL


13 comments:

Raymond Homestead said...

I think it looks great! Good job!

Cathy G. said...

I think you should submit it for publication in the Haute Handbags magazine! I Love it! You really did a nice job finishing and are very brave to try that rug backing stuff...... It is very very artsy and cool!!!
Cathy G

prims by olde lady morgan said...

Gayle, Great job!!! WOW the work!!! OLM

Rugs and Pugs said...

Gayle ~
It looks very spring-y! Beautiful job!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

I love it! It is very funky and colorful! Don't you love how one project teaches us how to do something on another? Super job!
Courtney

Joanne said...

I bet after the footstool it wa s breeze to put together - I'm not good at that part (I always barter with my Mom to make the linings and put them together when I make a purse or tote! LOL)

Cammie said...

Love the purse!! Great job on finishing, I agree with Cathy, you should submit it to Haute handbags magazine!

SUE said...

What a great job! The colors are very vivid - you will get so many compliments when you are out and about with it! Nice job. I want to try one now. SUE

Wendie Scott Davis said...

Such fun - you will never have a down day when you carry that. And I find that a hooked purse is a magnet for people to talk to you about rug hooking.

I think there's something about February and finishing maybe because they both start with "f". I'm doing a bit of that as well.

Love the bag - love the lining - love the pictures.

Kaaren said...

How cool is that!

I think it looks wonderful, Gayle.

One of a kind for sure!

Unknown said...

Wow that is a great purse.

Lewaina@cliffsideranch said...

You hooked a purse! AWESOME!
I love the little foot stool!!! So beautiful! (If it's unloved (not even likely) in it's new home, send it my way K? lol
Did YOU order this new snow? ;-)
Enjoy
Mercy

acorn hollow said...

I really like it. now the stuff you put on the back does it make the purse stiffer?
Cathy