Monday, October 17, 2016

Home Again

I returned to Utah on Thursday night from visiting my family in California. I took this stitching project to work on during the 12 hour (each way) drive and I did a bit more while I was there. The pattern is a design from Lisa Bongean and was in a recent issue of AP&Q. Lisa used flannel for her background fabrics, but I'm using regular cotton instead. Would have been a LOT faster and easier to cut the pennies with a die cut machine, but I used my trusty old scissors. Whew! Lots of variety in the colors of wool I used. Bought a few colors of DMC perle cotton to stitch with. I usually use crochet thread and it didn't really seem that different to me. I guess it's the variegated thread that makes the expensive stuff more desireable. There will be twelve blocks total when I'm finished - these still need to be pressed & trimmed to size so they look kind of distorted here.


On Saturday I attended our Guild's Hook-In and won this darling pumpkin man that was one of the door prizes. He's even cuter in person. Thanks Tonia!


Before going to California, I joined with the gals who always meet on the 1st Tuesday of each month. I'm making progress on my hit & miss rug.

There were some great projects being worked on. Coralee saw a metal sculpture while on vacation in Washington State and was inspired to hook her own version of a Cranberry Gobbler - very whimsical!


Sandy had her Day of the Dead rug completed......


......and was beginning work on a new floral (sorry for the crummy back-lit photo)


Sharon had finished a wild turkey done in needle punch.


And Stacy was punching a happy sunflower.

I seem to have missed several other rugs so hopefully I'll grab them next time.

14 comments:

Janet O. said...

I've been wondering how you are doing--forgot you were headed out of town. Hope it was a nice visit!
Love your pennies project. My circles always look very primitive because I cut by hand, and not very well. I like to pretend that I INTEND for them to look that primitive. : )
What a cute little pumpkin head you won! : )
Your rug is looking great--like a scrappy quilt.
So many projects--each so different. Sandy's rug looks amazing--creepy, but amazing!

Sue SA said...

Good progress on your pennies, such a long drive, nice to have hand work. More beautiful rugs, I really love that turkey!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Your pennies quilt is looking good! I purchased the magazine and have plenty of pennies which need to be sewn. Beautiful hooked rugs and punched pieces--you have amazing talented friends

Saimi said...

Love all those wonderful projects, you ladies do such fine work - speaking of work, man cutting out those circles must have taken some time, but well done they look great. What a cute door prize, such a perfect decoration for this time of year!!! I'm glad you had a nice trip - I'm quite fond of California myself - perhaps it's because my sister lives there :)

Prims By The Water said...

Your pennies look wonderful and everyone's projects look nice too. So glad you made it home safe. Janice

Nancy said...

That's great you had a good trip to California -- with lots of time to stitch along the way. I love those penny squares. It will make a beautiful quilt when you're finished (no matter how you use it). Your friends' work is fun to see, too.
--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

em's scrapbag said...

The pennies look great! Glad you had a good trip.

Kyle said...

Your pennies look like a million bucks! You used those miles wisely.

Three Sheep Studio said...

Your penny project looks like so much fun !
Lucky you, to have won the pumpkin man.
Rose

Unknown said...

I love your penny piece. A perfect travel project; I'll have to check this one out.

Michelle said...

That pennies project is on my bucket list too!! Love it!

Karen said...

I like the wire hands on the pumpkin. What a good idea.

Rugs and Pugs said...

So many great projects! I especially love that punch needle turkey.
Hugs :)
Lauren

acorn hollow said...

I love your piece. What great projects at your hook in.
cathy