Saturday, September 17, 2016

Lots of Quilts (and a few rugs)

I've had the hand piecing done on this little hexie star for a couple months. Finally asked my son-in-law to make a frame for it out of lumber that I provided, and he whipped it right out for me. I love the way it turned out and found just the right place to display it in my studio!


Don't know if anyone is interested, but here are the steps I used when painting the frame. I wanted it to look a bit like old, recycled wood, so first I painted dabs of cream colored paint here & there. Then I added the blue - leaving a few places raw wood.

When stained it to make it look more aged, each area turned out a bit differently which is exactly what I wanted. Last step was a coat of clear satin, which I sanded off a bit because it was too shiny.

It isn't practical to display it on my wing back chair but the colors sure are right! LOL

Thursday afternoon I had the delightful experience of attending a backyard quilt show. It's been two years since these gals did a show and I'm so glad they did - I feel like this event is a gift to their circle of friends - a place to gather and enjoy what they love - and eat goodies provided for free. So fun! Here's the front of the house - looks welcoming, huh? Can you imagine driving by and seeing this sight - along with the invitation to stop and look around?


And as you head down the side driveway to the backyard pool area......



The detached garage is decked out with two different barn stars!




Pumpkins painted with quilt blocks.....


.....no doubt inspired by the cover of the new issue of Country Living magazine.


I'll share a bunch of photos with no commentary so you can enjoy the show.....








On Wednesday I was in SLC to meet with my rug group there. Myra's sky is looking so fabulous! She's working from a photograph and is doing a great job of capturing the landscape.

Nancy finished the pictorial she started in class with Anne-Marie Littenberg.......

.....and has begun a floral that she designed to try and use up some of her leftover worms. Great job!

What a fun week I had!









21 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I love how you framed your piece, really creative idea for all types of quilting.
Wonderful show and nice to have it in a relaxed atmosphere.

Debbie

Sandy said...

I love all the quilts, so fun, I would love to go to a show like that. I love the barn stars too.
I like how you framed your piece, so fun.

Jennie in GA said...

Gee, wish I could have spent the week with you! A wonderful quilt show in such a pretty venue. And then the rugs. Love the scrappy one especially. Your framed hexagons are harming!

kelley said...

backyard quilt show...how fun!

Janet O. said...

Great idea for the framed hexie star! That looks wonderful! I think I can even tell where it is hanging--over the steps leading out of your studio, right?
That back yard quilt show looks like so much fun. Beautiful yard, too.
And then some lovely rugs--you have had a fun week!!

Yvonne said...

What an inspiring week! A perfect place for a quiltshow! Not to big and much cosier this way with the house as a background! Beautiful quilts and rugs, love how the landscape is growing!

Little Penpen said...

Oh wow! I love your hexagon piece, the frame is great! And yes it looks great on the chair!! That quilt show is amazing.....lucky you to have such great quilty friends.

Cathy said...

Great frame for your hexies. What a wonderful backyard quilt show. Some wonderful quilts. Hugs

Sue SA said...

Wow great way to showcase your quilts with a backyard display. Love the rugs, that sky is fabulous.

annie said...

Such a lovely show!
Your studio is wonderful.
I love the frame.
That finish would work on lots of projects.
Thanks for sharing everything!

Kyle said...

Your framed hexies are lovely. A perfect family project. The backyard quilt show is an awesome idea and a fun idea for sharing. It would be fun to do with friends. I always like seeing the rug show and tell. Gorgeous

Kyle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Karen said...

Window frame quilts were really popular for a good while. But finding an old window frame that fit a particular quilt was extremely hard. What a good idea to have one made to fit.

Saimi said...

Oh my GOSH Gayle, what a fabulous idea, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your quilt show - and those quilts are all so AMAZING!!! You have some very talented friends. Man I wish I could have seen this in person - looks like the weather cooperated as well. Everything from your framed quilts to your rugs and all that in-between, WOW!! I'm speechless!!!

Nancy said...

Your frame looks great - amazing son-in-law to just whip it out! And, of course, the star looks fabulous in the frame. The outdoor quilt show looks too fun. How generous of your friends to have it. The hooked rugs look so beautiful. Maybe I will learn to hook one of these days.... Maybe.
--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Lori said...

I love your frame and always like to know how it is done! Thanks for taking the time to share. What a fun quilt show! So festive and a great way to kick off autumn!!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I love your frame--very cool paint job! I think I need to make an ottoman cover like the one at that shop--that patchwork is so cute and the show looks like it was wonderful!

celkalee said...

great ideas, beautiful quilts and love that frame!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

The frame is perfect for your lovely work, Gayle!
That quilt show looks amazing...how fun! I love all of the beautiful colors and patterns!

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Love your frame and your hexie star, Gayle! Your outdoor quilt show looks wonderful, thanks for sharing with all of us!

Carolyn

whitey said...

love how your frame turned out