Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Holiday Weekend

We don't often leave town on a holiday weekend, but made an exception this time because of the horrible inversion & pollution we've been experiencing here the last week or two. Hubby & I drove with DD#2 and her family five hours south to sunshine, blue skies and warm temperatures - it was perfect! We explored & hiked & swam & ate out and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Here are a couple of things I saw that during our travels that caught my attention. We stopped at Cove Fort which has been restored to resemble pioneer times and I loved seeing this hooked rug in one of the rooms. Rug hooking was a colonial craft and not a pioneer craft, but it was still fun to see this on the floor of a bedroom there.


Here's a close up of part of the floral diamond.


And we saw a barn star on the side of a house that was nice - not seen very often in this part of the country - I'd like to make one for my home someday.


I've been very busy working on a new quilt for DD#2 - she chose the pattern & the colors - I chose the fabrics. Each block is paper pieced in two sections. Each star is formed by sewing four blocks together, so the entire quilt needed to be laid out before I started any of the sewing.

Lots of trimming involved...


Last week when I met with my rug group there was some great show & tell. Nancy had started a new table runner - it will be symmetrical and placed on a small telephone table in her home.


She just had a bit of yarn whipping left to do on this cute piece that she began & finished since our meeting a month ago.


Myra is hooking a pumpkin rug for a friend with vibrant orange colors.


Yvonne is working on a rug that is in a Pat Cross book (if I remember correctly)

It's good to be home!

17 comments:

acorn hollow said...

We are in a busy vacation area the Massachusetts people have come north to ski but it has been horrid weather either cold or warm and rainy. I love seeing the old rugs give us great inspiration just like your group lots of great rugs.
Cathy

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Glad you were able to get away! Love all the show and share!

WoolenSails said...

It is good to get away, I think we need to save a week for winter so we can get out of the cold.
Better weather coming up this week, so it will be nice to be able to get out again.
Lots of beautiful rugs.

Debbie

annie said...

great post!

Nancy said...

It's nice to get away sometimes, just a break from the regular to do something different or fun, and relax.

Your quilt in progress looks complicated, but what a great block. It will be beautiful.

Thanks for sharing what your friends are doing. Some great hooked pieces!

Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Janet O. said...

Sounds like we didn't go far enough south. Provo had the worst inversion in the state when we were there Friday. : (
Wow, your daughter didn't make it easy for you, did she? *LOL* Looks good, though!
So many wonderful rug projects--ALMOST makes me want to take up the craft. : )

Yvonne said...

I wish I could have the time to learn how to hook and have time for quilting too! Love all the projects and the quilt for DD2 is going to be stunning!

Three Sheep Studio said...

The quilt you are making is beautiful.
You have quiet a talent ! Lucky for DD#2.
It's always good to be home ;)
Rose

Julia said...

Too bad about the air pollution but it was a good excuse to get away. Welcome back... I'm glad that you enjoyed your vacation in the sun. I shouldn't complain as we had a good winter weather-wise but it turned bitterly cold a few days ago and then we had freezing rain but the temperature is back much warmer temperatures.

I was wondering if the old rug was made of wool of other fabrics. That quilt looks a bit complicated but I know you'll have that all sorted out in no time.

Hugs,
JB

Me and My Stitches said...

Sounds like a fun holiday weekend, and that was a fun rug that you spotted. You're such a nice mom to make that quilt - it looks a little complicated. I hope you show it when you get it all put together. Love all of the wooly projects - especially the background of the pennies - it really adds a lot to the rug. Love it!

Saundra said...

That old rug was in very good shape too. Thanks for the in progress report, love seeing what others are doing. You would be right that the design is in a Pat Cross book as I just recently was thumbing thru that particular book.

Farm Girl said...

Are you in California? You mentioned the inversion layer and I just wondered. I thought I was the only one who it drives me crazy. I love that old hooked rug. How neat to see it like that.
The quilt is going to be lovely that you are making. I really like your rug hooking group hooked rugs. I hope you have a nice week.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Sometimes in the gray skies of winter it is nice for a change and a place where there is sunshine. Whew! That quilt looks complicated. Your rug hooking group always has the nicest projects

Sue SA said...

Love those pumpkins! SO nice to have a long weekend away, especially if the weather is good.

Anonymous said...

What a fun looking quilt and sounds interesting to piece as well. Obviously she's a "modern girl"! Looking forward to seeing the finished top.

Kyle said...

Glad you found blue skies and better air further south. It's nice to get away and break out of the routine. Your daughter's quilt is going to beautiful, but I can see it's not any easy one to put together. Your rug group continues to astound me everytime you post everyone's projects. Each one is so unique and charming.

Shanna said...

The photos of all the rug hooking items are wonderful! Thanks for sharing not only your projects but for all the added inspiriation too! Glad you found some sunshine!