Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Home From Vacation

Hubby & I explored Western Montana with our 5th wheel all of last week - sure saw some pretty country! We stayed in my favorite campground for two days where I could hear the breeze blowing through the trees, smell the pine in the air, and listen to the gurgle of this small stream all night long - loved it!

Our truck rides too rough to do any stitching on the road, but each evening when we parked I was able to do a little work on these small hexie flowers - - -

- - - and I got nine more stars done on my hooked table runner - only six more to go, plus a piano key border at each end.

It's kinda funny how I was seeing planted wheelbarrows wherever we went! I saw these at Flathead Lake all lined up on the lawn alongside the road we were travelling. There were a few more scattered throughout the yard too.

And there were two of these outside a junk shop in Helena that we stopped at.


Now I'm on the lookout for a few more for my own yard! I've had this one for many years under the trees by my front door.

Hooked rugs are rarely seen here in the west, but I spotted this one at an antique store in a very small town called Choteau. It was priced at only $50, but I didn't love it enough to buy it. The hooking was completed but the edge hadn't been finished yet. The tag said it was needlework so I educated the proprietor a little about rug hooking before I left.

One of the things I usually dread about camping is mosquito bites! I always seem to have a bad time with them - they turn red and swell up terribly - and the itching drives me crazy for at LEAST an entire week!

I've been learning about the benefits of using essential oils lately, and when I read that lavender oil applied to a mosquito bite will help it feel better, I decided to pack my bottle and give it a try. WOW! What a difference it made! I applied a small amount each time I was bit and almost immediately I found relief! They healed quickly and and the itching stopped completely. I'll never travel without it again. I used doTERRA brand, but I'm sure any of them will work the same way. Just thought I'd pass that info along to anyone who might benefit from it too!

We got a late start on our garden in the spring, but we are finally eating zucchini and the green beans and corn will be on soon - YUM!

14 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I have lavender oil on hand to help me fall asleep at night ... I will need to remember to grab it when I have a mosquito bite.

Sounds like you had a nice vacation. DH and I dream about driving through that part of our country. I'm not sure we'll ever actually do it as any time we plan a vacation, we just can't seem to choose to go anywhere but the beach. ;-) What can I say ... we just love the beach!

Saundra said...

Like Kathy, I have it by my bedside to spritz my pillow to assist in sleep. But didn't know of it's value for mosquito bites, thanks for that tidbit of info.

Saundra

Diane said...

lovely photos, your little hexies are so cute
never knew that about lavender oil.

Raymond Homestead said...

Wheelbarrows must be the "in" thing. I love how they look with the flowers in them. I am going to have to try the lavender oil because I'm the same way with mosquito bites.

Nedra said...

Great info on the Doterra. I will have to give Lavendar a try. I can be in a group where no one gets bitten, and I will have dozens of bites. My kids give me Doterra for my birthday, and it's always had a positive result.

Kyle said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic, relaxing vacation. Those wheelbarrows make a great piece of lawn art. Hope you find a few more. Your hexies continue to look sweet and oh, so tiny. Thanks for the info about the lavender oil.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Will give the lavender oil a try--anything to stop the itching.

Great idea on the wheel barrels--I will consider this idea for my yard--I love recycling and finding uses for "old" things

Lesley said...

Love seeing those wheelbarrows filled with flowers! Your hexies are wonderful and so is your hooked project!

Me and My Stitches said...

Glad you had a nice, relaxing vacation! And that you found something to relieve those bites!

moosecraft said...

The potted wheelbarrow looks like something I may have to try! Too late for annuals here... but I can always start with pumpkins and mums for this fall... and then plant it with annuals next year! Thanks for the lavender tip!

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

Hey Gayle! Looks like a fun trip! I love those wheelbarrows all lined up! So cute! Did I tell you I am hooking now? (Actually, I am using the oxford punch) so far, so good!

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

We are big doterra oil users ~ thanks for the lavender tip!!

Bev said...

Oh thanks for sharing your beautiful photos! Also your tip about essential oil. Another tip (in case you are without it for some reason) is to run a spoon under hot water and get it as hot as you can and then put it on the bite. Don't know why this works but it does. Glad you're home safe! XO

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

Your trip sounds like it was lots of fun. You had me with that first paragraph... breeze, pine smell, gurgle of the stream... sounds lovely! And I love the wheelbarrows full of flowers, neat idea. Your wheelbarrow looks so cute, love it!

Hey, I agree with the lavender essential oil. I use the Young Living brand. It stops that itching instantly. It's the most versatile of all essential oils. You should research it sometime, you'd be amazed at what all the Lavender oil is good for!

Nice to be catching up with you. Have a wonderful week~