Monday, July 14, 2014

Mostly Hooking

I've been spending most of my time working on rug projects lately - this star runner has nine more 'blocks' completed for a total of eighteen so far. However, I'm not loving the background on a few of them so they might need to be pulled out and replaced.  BTW - see those green strips across the top & bottom of my picture? Those are pieces of polar fleece fabric that I sewed onto the linen to make it big enough to fit my rug hooking frame - I bought a remnant for just a dollar or so. My friend Sharon does this and I thought it was a great idea since my linen only had a couple of inches on either side.

Last week at rug group there was some nice show & tell. Nancy finished this floral which is an adaptation of a Pat Cross design - she added her own border and it looks great.

Nancy has made good progress on the rug she started in the Sharon Smith class. She purchased a kit and is determined to only use the wool that she received for this project. I especially like the flower boxes beneath the windows of the purple house - it's an antique paisley that is perfect for that!

And she is done with the stockings she made for her two new grandsons and a grand niece. Christmas in JULY!

Yvonne finished this little log cabin rug while she was there with us. She has a spot all picked out for where it will be displayed on an antique table in her home.

My little quilt group met at Jackie's this month - she has crocheted cotton rugs scattered all over her log home. These were being aired on the deck railing when we arrived and I thought they looked so neat hanging there.

And finally - I wanted to give you all a heads up about a great sale. The shop "I Have a Notion" is having a clearance sale on books - each one is only $4! I bought eight of them and they're all wonderful. There are still a lot to choose from and include some for rug hooking and quilting - check it out HERE! Shipping costs are reasonable since she uses book rates.


10 comments:

Nedra said...

It's so nice to see you are still hanging out with Nancy and Yvonne :) Fun projects.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Wow, your rugs are very impressive....I'd love to learn.
Thank you for posting about my Christmas In July Sale...I so appreciate the shout out!

Smiles,
Kelly

Julia said...

Your rug is looking great. I've done almost the same thing as your friend to extend my backing so it would fit on my frame. I sewed some repurposed wool strips that was too thin to hook with but perfect for the job.

Lots of nice rug. Thanks for sharing a piece of your world. $4.00 a book, that is a fantastic sale. You'll never run out of projects to do.

Hugs,
JB

Sue SA said...

Gorgeous rugs, I especially like the coloured houses. Your new books look very tempting, thanks for the tip!

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

Hi Gayle! What a beautiful rug! And I must say congratulations on the birth of your Grand daughter! Both children are darling and I love the quilt you made for her. I love quilts when they wrinkle up so nice! Makes them all cuddly! Has been a while since I have had time to check blogs. So glad you were first on the list today!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Great rugs.
What a great deal on the books. Too bad I have all the hooking ones. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Janet O. said...

Love the projects. What a fun starry piece! I don't see a problem with any of your backgrounds. But then, what do I know?
I've said it before--rug hookers have the coolest homes!

Cheryl said...

I always love looking at all the rugs. The log cabin one is adorable!

Three Sheep Studio said...

Beautiful rugs !
Loving those rugs hanging from the rail.
Thanks for the info on the books ;)
Rose

Yvonne said...

Great new projects and I love the crochet rugs!