Sunday, September 26, 2010

Utah Hook-In

Yesterday was the 5th Utah Hook-in and this rug was the star of the entire day. Marianne hooked  this enormous 5' x 7-1/2' rug in about three months and it's her original design. I helped her carry it in and it is very, very heavy as you might expect. It won first place in the viewer's choice voting and I wish you could all see it in person - it's spectacular! Very graphic - hooked in a #8 cut - and the colors are wonderful!





This is the new rug that Marianne brought to work on for the day - she drew it up and hooked a little earlier that morning before making the one hour drive to the hook-in.......


........and these are the colors that will be included in it when it's finished. Love the brights!



We met at the historic Rio Grande train station in SLC - it's a beautiful old building with lots of good light and an airy lobby.



Here are some of the other rugs that were shared in the rug show.


























And here are some of the rugs that we were able to enjoy 'in progress' during the day.














We organized a formal guild during the hook-in and are looking forward to more planned meetings and events, and eventually to bringing in national teachers. Our rug hooking community has grown a lot in the last few years and we'll only get bigger from here...... It was a really good day!

14 comments:

Lisa said...

very inspirational. I am jealous that I don't live in Utah.lol. thanks for the pics.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Gayle ~
Thank you so much for sharing! It would take me more than 3 years to hook a rug that size and she did it in 3 months. I am so impressed. It is lovely, as are all the rugs.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

moosecraft said...

That first rug by Marianne is stunning! Very original and beautiful!

Raymond Homestead said...

What fun and so many beautiful rugs!

Doris said...

Looks like a great hook-in. One of the nicest parts of rug hooking is the sharing. Some lovely color plans in your pictures.
(Moments in Time)

bayrayschild said...

WoW, all of you busy hookers!

You sure produce grand work!
Audrey

Diane said...

oh love the rugs you shared-thanks so much. I can't pick a favorite they're all wonderful.

Lori said...

Wow! They are so beautiful! What a group of talented ladies. Marianne's rug is amazing!!

Jacqueline said...

Wow - thanks for all the pic's. And she hooked that Jumbo in 3 months. Amazing..

whitey said...

I am a failed hooker...........

Loafer Mountain Primitives said...

Hey Gayle,
Where do you live? I'm in Utah too! I live in Salem, just south of Spanish Fork! I so need to learn how to hook! Those are fabulous....
Tisha

Kerin said...

Hi Gayle,
I've been wanting to come by and say 'hi'.
What beautiful handiwork !! I am so impressed with all of the beautiful work and attention to detail !
Have a grand evening !

Catherine said...

I love all the sheep! These are amazing, I had no idea Utah had such talent. ;) At least not such rug talent. Thanks for sharing, I'm totally impressed.

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

WOW!! All of those rugs are amazingly beautiful to me! I admire you all so much for being able to do this wonderful craft. Congratulations on forming a formal guild! How exciting this must be for you all!