Thursday, June 15, 2017

Halfway June

Hard to believe that June is half over already. DD#1 & her hubby have gone to Cancun so I have their little boy for the week. Yep, feels a little like deja vu since I did the same thing for DD#2 a month ago! Sure do love those little ones, but I know why we have kids when we're young ourselves. Whew!

I met with one of my rug groups last week and there was some good show & tell. Kim hadn't done any hooking, but showed us her beautiful blocks for a square-in-a-square quilt she's making. She'd planned to make it for herself, but her younger son is making wedding plans so she decided it would be made for the newlyweds instead. Beautiful fabrics!

Sandy's husband designed and hand drew this awesome rug for her entry way. It's at least 4' x 6' - maybe a bit bigger. She plans to hook is using only brown & cream wool - very classic and totally awesome! I have several friends who's husbands are interested in their rug hooking and it always amazes me to hear of their support, since my hubby isn't like that. Lucky gals!


Yesterday I met with the Salt Lake Group - our newest member had finished her very first rug hooking project - a floral pillow inspired by a piece of fabric. The back and piping were black velvet - very rich looking.


I love the way she added bits of purple fabric to the black background when she hooked it.

Yvonne is making progress on her bright floral rug - plans to put it in the guest room where her grand daughters sleep when they come to visit. Isn't it happy looking?

Nancy is nearing a finish on her rug - she often includes clever and/or inspiring sayings in her projects and this one is a goody.

Myra has been very busy and brought two sewing buckets that are spectacular. She designed several of the motifs on the outer pockets to reflect the owner - this one is her's......

....and this is for one of her daughters. She has plans to make many more. What lucky family members she has! Makes me wish she would adopt me! LOL Over the weekend our guild had a workshop and made Nuno felted scarves. Sadly, I was too busy helping put in a sprinkler system and couldn't attend, but Myra brought her scarf and it was just beautiful. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of that. I'm hoping to try this technique myself some day!

Mary Jane featured one of my rugs on her blog yesterday - I was honored that she asked to do so - she did a great job on it! You can read her entry here.


12 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Mary Jane's post was wonderful and that rug of yours is simply amazing!

Nancy said...

Such beautiful work all around. I especially like those square-in-a-square blocks. Will she keep the grey sashing (which I like very much). Your rug is beautiful!

Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Yvonne said...

As always the things your group are working on are stunning! So much talent!
Enjoy your time with your grandson! Exhausting but so precious!
Happy weekend!

Saundra said...

You have some very talented friends. And of course you are also very creative. You will probably finish your quilt way before me.

Janet O. said...

What a good Grandma you are (and a tired one)! : )
Always enjoy seeing the rug projects--and you are not the only one whose hubby does not get involved in their hobbies. Though Gregg does enjoy a short road trip now and then that involves stopping at quilt shops, but that is as involved as he gets. LOL
Your rug is incredible, Gayle. A wonderful piece of folk art and family history!

Kyle said...

I love your family rug. It tells your family history. Sandy's group is going to be gorgeous. What a glorious design. My gang is all coming over tomorrow for the weekend.so I know I'll be tired. It's a bit challenging when it's all week long, but that's how sweet memories are made. I tell myself that when I'm laying on the sofa exhausted.

Robin said...

My also husband has no interest in what I'm stitching. He's just content that I have something that makes me happy. I have a son that likes to be involved in what I'm making. It's a refreshing change and I welcome it.

Karen said...

The "Burton" rug is wonderful. So very folk art looking.

Julia said...

Your Burton rug is a real treasure family heirloom and I enjoyed reading the write up on it.

Enjoy your weekend.
Smiles & hugs.
Julia

Tanvi said...

Hi Gayle,

My name is Anuj Agarwal. I'm Founder of Feedspot.

I would like to personally congratulate you as your blog The Middle Sister has been selected by our panelist as one of the Top 60 Rug Hooking Blogs on the web.

http://blog.feedspot.com/rug_hooking_blogs/

I personally give you a high-five and want to thank you for your contribution to this world. This is the most comprehensive list of Top 60 Rug Hooking Blogs on the internet and I’m honored to have you as part of this!

Also, you have the honor of displaying the badge on your blog.

best,
Anuj

Jennie in GA said...

Your family rug is wonderful. And your framing borders really set it off!!!