Monday, April 24, 2017

Here I Am!

A couple of really nice gals recently emailed me to tell me that they missed reading my blog - how sweet! So I decided I better write a post to do a little catching up. Our move went just fine. We still have a lot of boxes to unpack, but we're getting there and it's starting to feel like home. Here's a picture of the new place taken this afternoon when it was dreary & wet. We hope to get a yard in this summer - hubby is a landscape architect so he has the plans all drawn up already.


Did you notice those two windows above the garage? That's the bonus room which is my studio. I've gotten my quilt fabrics organized and put on shelves - and found the perfect place to display my collection of vintage toy sewing machines. In fact, I think I can use a few more of them!

My very first project is sewing a lap quilt - here it is on my design wall below. My dad died unexpectedly in January and when I was talking to his wife a couple weeks ago she told me how hard the evenings are for her because it's so quiet with no one to talk to. I asked her to send me his cotton shirts and I'd make her a lap quilt out of them - she can wrap herself up in it when she's watching TV or feeling sad. It's been kind of therapeutic for me to handle the fabrics that he wore - funny that there were no stripes in his closet - only plaids, solids, and one Hawaiian print!

Here is the carnage leftover from disassembling the shirts on my family room floor.

I just finished reading a really good book - the author has a new one out so I'll get it from the library soon and read it too. I highly recommend this one.


I attended one of my monthly rug meetings a couple weeks ago and have a little show & tell to share. Myra had this darling apron - the flower pots are sewn from fabric and the flowers are painted on - what talent!

And she was working on this happy rug with the same bright colors.

Nancy had finished this cute rug since our last meeting - it all started with the star flower she had seen in a magazine and grew from there. I love that one of the borders is different.

A few months ago at my quilt group, we learned to make our own wool dryer balls using yarn - mine were pretty tame, but Jayna really took off and made a gazillion of them for Christmas gifts that she embellished with fun designs and colors. They look so nice nestled in her old wooden bowl.

Hopefully tomorrow I can catch up on reading some blogs - it's been weeks since I visited with my internet friends!

20 comments:

Janet O. said...

Your new home looks lovely, Gayle! I hope you will share the interior when you get everything settled. I would love to see those floor plans come to life!
I have missed you, too, but I knew you were busy moving.
Look at that lovely display of fabric. Wow! Love those shelves!
You are doing better on your Dad's memory quilt than I am mine. Just barely got the shirts disassembled--haven't cut any parts yet. How fun to have the Hawaiian shirt in there! My Dad also had one, but I wasn't going to use it. I'll have to rethink that.
Such happy, colorful projects your friends are making. We must have had a long, snowy winter and we all want Spring and color now! : )

Yvonne said...

O my....What a beautiful home! And your studio....it looks amazing...all that fabric! You can open your own fabric store..
Glad for you the moving is behind you, I hope you will get some quilting and hooking time now. Enjoy your new home!so happy for you!

Caro said...

Lovely home and what a great sewing space!

Saundra said...

It is SO NICE to read your blog again. Oh my how lucky you are to have such a wonderful studio. Looks as tho your hubby has his own man cave area where the second garage door appears.

What a wonderful and therapeutic task of making the lap quilt; I'm sure she will get many hours of warm remembrances when she wraps herself in it.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Welcome back to Blogland. Your new sewing room looks so neat and inviting. I hope you get lots of time to mess it up. What a wonderful thing to do for your father's wife. I'm sure she will cherish it.

Jeanette Hobbs said...

Gayle, I love your home. The fabric looks amazing on the shelves. It is so nice and you will love those extra bonus rooms. What a wonderful thing to do with your Dad's shirts.

Sue SA said...

Such a lovely thing to sew a quilt from your fathers shirts. Lovely show and tell, especially enjoyed seeing your sewing room.

Me and My Stitches said...

Love your red house (mine is red too!)! And your stash looks so pretty! Can't wait to see more pictures of your sewing room and the rest of your home. So sorry that you lost your dad, and so nice of you to think of making his wife a quilt with his shirts. Glad it's therapeutic for you too.

Rugs and Pugs said...

So sorry to hear about your dad. How sweet to make that lap quilt.
LOVE your new home. It is gorgeous. And your studio. WOW! I hope you will share lots more.
Hugs :)
Lauren

annie said...

Lovely home!
I love the gables!
So many great projects!
Lovely quilt!
So good of you to make that for her.
Sincere condolences to you both!

Barb said...

Lovely home....

Saimi said...

Oh my gosh Gayle what a lovely home. Man you've been a busy girl!! Sorry about your dad but what a great idea to make a quilt out of his shirts. A very thoughtful and tender gift, I'm sure his wife will love it. I always love to see the projects your friends make, and those dryer balls are so cool! Forgive my ignorance, but what are they used for? Ok, on more thing, your sewing room is amazing as is your collection of fabric - those little toy sewing machines are a fun collection!!
Take care and thanks for sharing
Saimi

woolwoman said...

your new home is gorgeous Gayle ! what a fantastic studio you have - you'll have to show more photos when you get time. I'm sorry to hear about your father passing away. Maybe his wife could learn knitting and do some charity knitting for preemies or prayer shawls. Most shops will have classes and some church groups do teach also. I have a good friend who lost her DH the first part of Feb, long illness with cancer. I know her needle and friends get her by but in the dark of night - things can be quiet and the darkness long. be well - Mel

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Gayle,
So sorry to hear about your dad! The memory quilt is a wonderful idea and way to still treasure his memory and keep him close!! I'm sure it will be a great comfort!!
Your new home is just beautiful and your studio.........AMAZING!!! I don't think I would EVER want to leave.......except for meals!!! lol
Take care and enjoy settling in!!!
Heart Hugs~
Julie

Mugwump Woolies said...

What a lovely keepsake for your father's wife. Your new home is beautiful and your studio is wonderful! Congrats on your new home!
Robyn

acorn hollow said...

the new house looks wonderful and to have your own studio is really a bonus.
love your apron.
cathy

Karen said...

Was your move local? You are going to have a wonderful sewing space. Would love to have a bonus room. We looked at homes with bonus rooms on one of our moves but the one we purchased had a small bonus room. No more two story homes for us though.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

It is wonderful to see you posting--you were missed!!!! Your home is beautiful and I might be just a little pea green envious of your sewing space--oh those fabrics. Kind, thoughtful gift you made. We will grab a cup of tea when you are ready to give us a home tour.

audrey said...

So sorry about your dad. Putting a quilt together with his shirts is probably very bitter sweet.

Lori said...

Your home is lovely! Glad you are settling in. So sorry to hear about your dad.