Friday, May 27, 2016

A Little Out of the Ordinary!

I've worked on a couple projects lately that are a little different from what I usually do. First of all was a couch update. DD#1 was given this old couch by a friend and the cushions were SO dated - the fabric was literally falling apart - crunchy and gross - I would guess 40+ years old.

So she ordered some new fabric that would give the couch a fresh look and I stitched up new covers for her. I was able to recycle the zippers from the old covers, and the foam cushions were still in good condition too so we were able to use them. Her throw pillows add a lot of color to the couch and her family has a comfy new place to sit!

THEN, my son asked me to help HIM with a project. He is passionate about his vehicles. He recently rebuilt the engine on a Ford Explorer that he bought for a song. Then he made a new bumper for it from scratch - the metal cutting and shaping - the welding - the winch installation - and the painting. He added a light bar above the winch and worried about it getting damaged from road debris.


So we used some vinyl fabric and made a cover for the light bar that fit like a glove when it was snapped together underneath. Whew! Quite a team effort!




Earlier this week I learned that I had won a giveaway on Polly Minick and Laurie Simpson's blog. My prize arrived in the mail today and I'm SO thrilled with it! A stack of 40 fat quarters  from their newest fabric line - can you imagine? That's 10 yards people! SO generous! I have no idea what I will make with it but I'm just going to pet it for awhile until I think of something! LOL

Have a great weekend!


13 comments:

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Gayle,
You are ONE TALENTED GAL!!!! What CAN'T you do????? Great job on the couch and the truck!!! Congrats on all that yummy fabric!!! I laughed when you talked about petting it but TOTALLY understand!!!! I know you will figure out something great!!
Have a great holiday weekend and Happy Memorial Day!
Warm Hugs~
Julie

Nancy said...

You are so multi-talented, Gayle. The couch looks great and so does the cover. Excellent! Congratulations for winning the fabric. What a treat!
--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Janet O. said...

Excellent job on the couch. I love it! Very fresh and modern look for what appears to be kind of an arts and crafts style frame. Great job!
Lucky you on the fabric win!

Me and My Stitches said...

I'm really impressed with the couch - you are multi-talented! Congrats on the FQ bundle win - that's exciting. Have you stopped petting long enough to decide on a project? :)

Rugs and Pugs said...

Congrats on your give away win. I know you will create awesome projects!
Happy Memorial Day.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Sylvia said...

You certainly deserve winning the fabric. Congratulations.
Isn't is fun to use our sewing machines for unusual things. You are so multi-talented.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Congratulations on your win--I saw your name on their blog and hoped it was you! Great refurbishing of the sofa and bumper.

Karen said...

I haven't made cushion covers in many, many years. Don't think I would want to again. The ones you made look oh so nice.
And wow on the fabric! A great prize.

Lori said...

Its fun when we can use our skills for other projects! Congratulations on the fantastic win! That's a lot of FQers!

Three Sheep Studio said...

You are ever so clever ! Very creative.
Congratulations on your fabulous win !!
Have a wonderful holiday weekend.
Rose

Yvonne said...

Isn't it amazing? First I meet you, than I buy that same bundle of fabrics at Sample Spree, the next day I meet Laurie Simpson and now you have won your bundle. It is a small world. I am thinking about making an Churn dash quilt out of it!

Jeanette Hobbs said...

Gayle you are so talented and lucky. Way to go girl. Always inspiring us.

Saimi said...

Oh my Gosh Gayle you are a woman full of surprises!! Great job on the couch and your son's bumper, holy moly you're amazing!! Congratulations on your wonderful bundle of material - it's always a pleasure to receive such a gift - just goes to show not only are you talented, but lucky as well!!!

Have a great weekend!
Saimi