Saturday, November 28, 2015

That Time of Year!

A few weeks ago I showed you a new hooked rug that I had started. Well, it's all finished now, and has been delivered to it's new home. Such a fun project to make! I forgot to measure it when it was done, but I think it's about 10" x 36" or so. Should work perfectly as a table runner.


I used six different background wools because I thought it would make it look more interesting, but I think they ended up being too much alike in color and value, so that part didn't turn out quite like I had hoped. But I still like it - you can barely see the difference if you look closely.


My favorite part of the rug ended up being the binding because of a new technique that I tried for the very first time. Cool, huh? I followed the instructions that Saundra shared on her blog here, except I used a strip of wool to enclose the edge instead of cotton fabric like she used.


I finished piecing the top of my Dresden Plate quilt - no idea when it will actually ever get quilted. Kind of hypnotic if you look at it long enough! LOL


And earlier this week I started a Christmas project using these fun colors of fabric. Need to get it finished and in the mail ASAP!

Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving holiday. We had all of our loved ones (except one) gathered under our roof for six hours or so, and it was delightful! I love that everyone helps with the meal by bringing a bit of this and that.  Plus, we had a bit of snow to fuel the celebration - yay!

14 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

I love the binding on your runner!!! That is what I want to do on my challenge rug. Did you use cording or just fold the linen over?
It is beautiful!
It sounds like you had a perfect Thanksgiving.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Kim said...

Very cute new rug. I noticed the binding before I even scrolled down further. I'm glad you added a close up. Lovely

Kyle said...

Your rug is gorgeous and I know it's found a good home! Heehee. I do like how you did the edge. It gives it a great prim look. Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. It's all about family and friends.

Karen said...

I was wondering about the binding as I had not seen anything like it on a hooked rug. A very nice gift for someone.

Farm Girl said...

That is a wonderful rug. I love that binding! It looks wonderful. I also really like the pillow and all of that wonderful fabric. How nice you got snow!

Janet O. said...

What a lovely holiday runner, Gayle. Nice job. I think the different backgrounds still give it a subtle depth.
Oh, that Dresden quilt is eye catching. Almost feel like I am looking at some kind of illusion.
Sounds like you had a very nice holiday. : )

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Nice holiday runner, loved the technique you used on the binding. Looking at the Dresden plate quilt is kinda hypnotic. No snow here--unseasonably warm--kinda hard to get into the Christmas spirit.

Saundra said...

I love rugs with that binding technique and was first exposed to it in a class with Betsy Reed. Hope you were inspired by my blog post about it. http://woodlandjunction.blogspot.com/search?q=Chicken+Challenge+binding

Lori said...

The runner is so pretty!! That binding is cool. Your dresden quilt is wow wonderful!!! So cool!! We had quite a lot of snow and it hasn't warmed up enough for it to go away. It is nice at first, but so many accidents and wrecks in Central Oregon because of it.

Yvonne said...

Pretty table runner!

celkalee said...

Your rug is beautiful. The back ground colors add a bit of dimension. The binding technique is unique, don't think I have ever seen it up close. I recall a piece hung high on a wall in a small shop but was unable to study it. Lovely quilt as well.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh gosh Gayle, I love it! It would make a fabulous runner. I have never tried hooking, but I sure do love what you make! Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving! Sounded very similar to ours. We had everyone but our youngest daughter.
hugs,
Jann

Nancy said...

Your rug is beautiful, Gayle. I can imagine the holly boughs resting on snow. The binding around the edge is such a great finishing touch. And how nice that Norma Whaley featured it on her blog, too.

I also like your Dresden plate quilt. I can imagine it among some of the vintage and antique quilts I see in online museum collections. Wish I'd thought of making one like it!

audrey said...

Your rug turned out wonderfully! It's got that perfect holiday look.:) And your Dresdens look fabulous--kind of vintage. What a great looking design!