Friday, February 20, 2015

Catching Up

Last summer when hubby & I were vacationing in Montana, I found this set of sewing machine drawers at an antique store in a small town - I think I paid $25 for them. There was no top, because they used to be attached to a sewing cabinet, so I knew I would have to do something about that.


I could have added a piece of wood  to cover the opening- cut to size and stained to match.

But I decided to hook a little rug for the top. The hooking has been done for months, and my mom helped me put it all together while she was here last week. Those two extra hands were very helpful.

The wood was a little worn, so I sanded it lightly and brushed fresh stain on it - very pleased with the way it turned out.

I made another heart quilt for Valentine's Day, but didn't get it finished till today. So now it'll be ready for NEXT year! It's kind stiff cuz it's heavily quilted. I'd like to soften it up by washing it, but I'm kinda nervous about the red bleeding.  Not sure what to do.

My grandson's birthday quilt is all finished. We'll be taking it to him next Saturday.

The back is kind of fun with his name appliqued on there - and I embroidered my name and a message on the letter 'O'.

I was very lucky that a friend let me use her longarm machine to quilt this on. It was a lot of fun and only took me about three hours from start to finish.

I received a Quick Curve Ruler for Christmas, and although I won't be able to make a quilt with it for quite awhile, I wanted to stitch up one block just for fun so I could see what it's like. The gal who designed this is here in Utah and most of the quilts made using her method are Modern Quilts,  but I think it's going to work just fine in my dark & dirty scrappy style. Her company is Sew Kind of Wonderful.

22 comments:

Three Sheep Studio said...

Your sewing machine drawers are perfect. Beautiful rug hooking on top. Do you have plans for how you will use it ?
Your Grandson's quilt is a treasure. Lucky fellow !
Rose

Janet O. said...

Oh, the drawers look so good--love the rug on top. What a fun idea.
Hudson's quilt turned out great. The name on the back is very cool, and you look good at the helm of a longarm machine!
Your Quick Curve block seems very comfortable in dark and dirty scraps. It's what all the best quilts are wearing this year. : )

Julia said...

The rug is perfect on top of the drawers.
I love the baby quilt and that Valentine quilt is absolutely beautiful. It looks like so much work. I'd be scared to wash it too.

Have a great weekend
Hugs,
JB

annie said...

love the drawers and the top, just makes it! cute grand son quilt! bright red always bleeds for me unless it is maroon, or wine red, they never have.

Karen said...

The sewing cabinet drawers look so very prim with a hooked rug top. Unique idea.

Sandy said...

I love your curved block, Gayle - I'm interested to see how this progresses.

Kristie said...

Love your rugs for the drawers! That was a very clever idea. Looks like you have been very busy with quilting too. I also have that pattern from Sew Kind of Wonderful. I have several blocks of it pieced. I really need to get back to it and finish it.
-Kristie

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

What a unique way to finish those drawers!

While I admire all quilts, even the more modern ones, there's some quite comfortable about one in the dark and dirty fabrics that we love so much. It was no surprise to me that the little sample block turned out just fine.

Fabulous quilt for your grandson.

Me and My Stitches said...

What a great way to top off those sewing machine drawers - it looks great! And Hudson's quilt is adorable - another great idea to put his name on the back - I bet that quilt will be treasured for years to come. Your QC blocks looks really great - your colors are my colors - lol!

Saundra said...

I love your sewing machine drawers and the little hooked top you made for it.

~*~Leanne~*~ said...

Love your sewing cabinet! Don't you just love it when worn find turns out to be a gem? Glad you finished your Valentine quilt. Mine turned out flat too...I shouldn't have pressed it.
Happy sewing,
Leanne

Yvonne said...

Great cabinet you found in Montana! I am sure Hudson will love his quilt, it turned out so cute as well as your quick curves block. Pretty in those colors.

Lori said...

I wish we had a place that let us "rent" their long arms. Your quilt turned out fabulous! I'm sure it will be well loved.
How about throwing color catchers in with the heart piece?

The Wool Cupboard said...

LOVE your sewing machine drawers with the hooked top, Gayle! Great decorative storage:-)

Your grandson will treasure the quilts you have created for him, and the red heart quilt is fabulous!

Hugs, Linda

Sue SA said...

Love the metro ring pattern, I am considering taking a class to learn how to use this ruler and that was the pattern I choose! Love what you did with the draws, what a great idea. I am sure your grandson will love his new quilt.

audrey said...

Very fun looking grandson quilt.:) Love the personalization! Great to see your rug hooking projects and what you do with them. I know I will probably never do that type of craft, but I find it so fascinating!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your sewing machine drawers came out great!
Your quilts...sigh...so wonderful. Hudson's is just plain fun and that heart ~ all those tiny pieces. WOW!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Vic in NH said...

I can recommend Shout color catchers put two into the wash with all your regular stuff, I re-use mine a dozen times and they work great!

Kyle said...

How fun to see you quilting on Hudson's quilt. What a fun quilt for him. Your hooked piece for you cabinet is very ingenious. It's going to look great where ever you plan to use it. And your heart quilt for next year is super sweet. I'm a chicken when it comes to washing red and white together too. But if I had to, I'd used the Shout color catchers or do just a dip in the sink first to see what happens.

Cathy said...

Great sewing machine drawers. And your grandson's quilt is adorable. Hugs

Mayleen said...

I like your projects - everything from the sewing cabinet hooked piece to the block using the curved ruler! I think your block looks great and it seems very close in appearance to my project's arcs.

Anonymous said...

great post
beautiful pictures


Obat Herbal TBC akut