Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Fun Stuff!

I promised a picture of my Now & Later quilt after I got it all washed up, so here you go. I love the way the cotton batting really puckered up the surface of the quilt - makes it very cozy to snuggle under and gives it great texture.




I'm so lucky to five grandchildren - four boys and one girl. I have lots of toys for them to play with when they come to my house, but most of them are cars & trains & blocks & Legos & puzzles. I decided it was time for them to have a dolly too, and of course she needed a bed to sleep on and of COURSE she needed a quilt to sleep under! Last weekend I stitched up this little doll quilt and it was so much fun to pull fabrics from my stash and make the whole thing in one day. The blocks measure 1-1/2" and the entire thing finished is 12" x 13". My only mistake was putting batting in it - should have used a thin layer of flannel cuz it's hard to wrap the baby up in the quilt - it keeps popping open cuz it's kinda stiff. Oh well.


I hope some of the boys will enjoy playing with this too! They have to learn how to be good daddies some day, right?


It's been two weeks since I met with my First Tuesday group so I have a few pictures of the projects they were working on that day. Kim finished her Garden Lady and it's awesome!


Tonia hooked this sweet angel rug and had just barely started a new one that day.


Sharon was whipping the edge of this subdued floral - she took the design from the line drawing in a prayer book that is 100+ years old - wonderful! (sorry for the crummy picture Sharon)


This is her peacock rug - I love the flowers hanging down from the top edge - and the background is a great rosy beige color.



She uses this rug on the floor and to keep it from slipping, she tacked some of this rubber gripper stuff here and there so it's firmly attached, but not permanent. Brilliant idea! I guess Sandy did the same thing with some chair pads she made recently for her new dining room table. I have the smartest friends ever!


Last week I met with the Salt Lake group. Myra is just beginning a new rug and her sky is looking fantastic already - so realistic with many shades of blue!


Nancy had been working on a wool applique kit that her sister gave her - so fun to see that it was designed by my friend Leisa of Black Sheep Woolens.


I love the purple mountain in Nancy's landscape - once she gets that sky hooked it'll be finished!


For Susan's very first hooked rug, she was inspired by a piece of floral fabric she used to decorate her home with - I'm thinking she's a natural!


The other Nancy was working on a little chicken rug - those chicks look washed out in my photo, but they're a soft yellow color in real life. The long legs give this one a whimsical look.


Yesterday I went to the annual quilt show in Springville and these were my three favorite quilts - all on the small size. The first one was inspired by the design on a Kleenex box!


This one is a classic Trip Around the World.


And I loved the applique added to this Courthouse Steps quilt.

17 comments:

Nancy said...

Your quilts are wonderful, Gayle. I made a doll quilt in January and learned then to use something thinner than cotton batting. The one I made is about double the size of yours so it has a little more flexibility to it. Still, yours is adorable and with use it will soften up.

You have some very talented friends. There are several of those hooked pieces I love -- the angel is fabulous, and the kleenix box-inspired quilt is a pattern I wish I'd dreamed up, especially with the colors the quilter used.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful quilts and the others' pieces, too.

--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Janet O. said...

Wonderful finishes, Gayle. Great cuddle quilt, and that is a sweet little quit for the dolly. : )
That first rug of Sharon's really caught my eye. And I'm sure you know how much I like the three little quilts at the end.

Yvonne said...

Both of your quilts are awsome Gayle! I am sure your grandkids love to play with the doll and take good care of her!
The things your Rug group make surprises me every time. Such a talented group!
So fun you got to see the quiltshow in Springville and got to meet Shannon at last in the Corn Wagon!

Saundra said...

Your quilts are wonderful and you sure do have more patience than me for those small sewn pieces.

Always ready for a rug show so thanks for sharing. I also use that rubber gripper on the floor rugs but don't tack it down, but rather just place under the rug.

Sylvia said...

Love your quits and the rugs show was great. So much talent! Thank you for sharing.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

What a wonderful show of quilts and rugs! I love that someone found inspiration in a tissue box--just shows that one can find ideas everywhere. Your little doll quilt is adorable--love those tiny plus signs.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Your baby doll quilt is beautiful--it will soften with time and use. You have some amazing (rug) hookers in your group!

Jennie in GA said...

Thx for sharing. I especially love your new quilt!!!

Sue SA said...

Wonderful work in quilts and rugs, so inspiring, thank you.

acorn hollow said...

it is almost time to snuggle under a quilt. Lucky you all those grandbabies, and yes the boys should play with them too.
Love the rugs.
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

Your Now & After quilt is awesome ans how nice to have a baby doll quilt and cradle! Janice

Karen said...

I like the prim look of the angel rug. A very talented group and thank you for sharing.

Oh how I like the look of a quilt after it has been washed and dried. Love the crinkly look. Like the old quilts we have loved.

WoolenSails said...

That is a beautiful quilt and I think the wrinkles, after washing make it look wonderful.
I have two grandsons and that will be all, so no doll quilts;)

Debbie

Three Sheep Studio said...

Your 'Now and Later" quilt is so lovely and looks so inviting and cozy.
Beautiful work, as always.
Rose

Sandy said...

Gayle I think we had the same vibe going with our most recent quilts. I love how yours turned out. And your doll quilt? Now THAT. Is adorable. And those amazing rugs simply floor me. No pun intended :-)

Lori said...

I love your now and Later and it does look so snuggly! Cute little doll and quilt for the grandkids.
Your groups are very prolific and talented!! That angel is lovely!!

Ruth said...

I love the quilts from the show! And the doll bed is so cute - I love making doll quilts and fixing up doll beds.