Thursday, June 25, 2015

It's Been Awhile!

Sorry I've been MIA - just busy with life - you know how it gets sometimes, right? Anyway, I took pictures earlier this month when our rug group met - there was some great show & tell! Sandy showed us her finished rug which is a design by Vintage Heart Primitives - and it was just stunning!

She used some specialty yarn to hook the lady's hair - - -

- - - and finished the edge with a fancy herringbone stitch using yarn - wow! I love the fleur-de-lis that is hooked in each corner of the rug - one of my favorite motifs.

I grabbed a photo of Kim's rug that is nearing completion. She asked her son to draw this rug pattern for her - so it's a one-of-a-kind - and it features her home and other nearby landmarks that are important and special to her - especially Ben Lomond Peak which stands above her house.

Sharon was working on a small star rug - about the right size for a chair pad. Makes me think of a sheriff's badge! LOL

Leisa invited us to hook in her studio for the first time and we all brought goodies to have a nice lunch while we were there. A lot of the gals had never been there before and they couldn't get over all the goodies that she has!  Leisa left just a couple days later and is in on vacation in Italy. Her husband went to ride his bike in the Italian Alps and it's been fun seeing her posts on Instagram.

Jeanette finished up this fun sunflower on a bed spring - a kit that we all received at a Guild meeting a year or two ago - please notice the red floor in the background - it's painted plywood - awesome!

My little quilt group met at my house a couple days after this, and I had prepared a small project for each gal to make. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of them all before they left so these two are mine. I sharpened bamboo skewers and we added polymer clay handles to them - they make a great stiletto to use when sewing - they hold seam allowances in place so your fingers don't get stitched by mistake. The colors are way too bright for my taste - I'd like to make another one or two and see if I'm happier with them....

When we returned home from Seattle I found this rusty flower in my yard - my son had welded it for me and left it as a surprise and I love it - it's rather dangerous looking so we've placed it in an out-of-the-way spot cuz we don't want any of the grandchildren to get hurt by it.  A couple of the kids really like balls so this might be a challenge - LOL!

And finally, a couple more really good books that I can recommend. I liked this one a lot:

And this one had me nearly sobbing at the end - luckily I was home alone and had no need to hide my tears from anyone - whew! I love books that make me cry - and Hallmark commercials can do it too! (smile)

The weather has turned really hot here after a long, cool, wet spring - whew - I'm not a fan!

14 comments:

Diane said...

Thanks for the book suggestions, I'm always looking for more. I really like the quilt the books are laying on as well!

annie said...

a great post, loved all the photos, esp. that one of a kind rug!

Julia said...

You have been busy... and you even found time to read too. Oh I love that herringbone finish. I've never tried it but I saw a tutorial on how to do it.
What a great idea about using bamboo skewers to make those cute tools to save fingers especially when sewing those tiny pieces.

Have yourself a great day.
Hugs,
JB

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Thanks so much for the book recommendations. I only listen to audiobooks, and alas Lost and Found evidently isn't available as an audiobook. But I did purchase the audiobook of Nightingale. ;-)

Kyle said...

Your rug group never disappoints. There's inspiration in being in each other's studios. Love the red floor! Your son's surprise Is very cool. It's a great garden piece. Lucky you! It's gotten very hot here too, which I don't like either, but it's summer. Oh, well. Stay cool.

audrey said...

Oh I love Kristin Hannah! Did you read Winter Garden? That was one that made me cry.:) Love seeing your rug hooking projects. So interesting and fun!

Janet O. said...

Such talented women in your group, Gayle, not the least of which is you!
I've never been to Black Sheep Woolens, though I have heard much about it.
You must have the coolest yard art of anyone I know. My BIL has a couple of blue and green glass bottle trees and the blue glass always makes me think of your collection.
Way too hot, isn't it--and this early in the summer, it just seems wrong! We were going to come down that way for a little anniversary celebration, but when I saw temps for the Ogden/SLC area, we stayed put! Bad enough here.
Do you have any plans to attend Quiltfest? I've never gone before, but think I'll go for a day or two this year, if I can save up enough pennies! : )

Lori said...

The rugs are amazing! Such detail in the top one.
You and our friends are always doing the coolest crafts.

Doniene said...

Hi Gayle!! I am always amazed and blessed by the rugs that you and your friends hook. What beautiful work!!!

Blessings and hugs!

MARCIE said...

Your books are all on my reading list. I love recommendations!

Amy McPheeters said...

I listened to The Nightingale about 6 weeks ago and really loved it. That herringbone stitch is really cool. Gotta look that up on The Google!

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

What a wonderful post!! Loved all the beautiful eye candy!!

Karen said...

Your friends work on some intricate rug designs.

woolwoman said...

Looks like I am finally going to be able to make a comment on your blog again Gayle. I thought I was doomed to just be a lurker. Lots of lovely things in all your recent posts. Love the travel applique piece you worked on. Amazing rugs in your local group. Take care and I hope you have a great 4th holiday - Mel