Saturday, November 8, 2014

This & That

I recently found a nice recipe box at the thrift store for $1. I don't know what used to be in the lid, but there was a large open area that I thought would be perfect for a punch needle insert. I traced the opening onto weavers cloth and drew on my design - thinking that I was making a crazy quilt. My friends quickly corrected me and told me it was stained glass instead - so that's what I'm going with!



The finished design turned out to be a bit bigger than it started, so I had to add some padding underneath it to take up the slack.  This happens to me often and it drives me crazy - anyone have suggestions on how to prevent this from happening? Maybe I should add some fusible interfacing to the back before I begin punching and that would stabilize it? Hmmm......


My Margaret Shaw crow hooked rug is finished - just need to steam it one more time to get those edges to lie nice & flat after being whipped with yarn.


Show & tell at my rug group on Tuesday was wonderful. Jeanette brought two little pincushions and they were adorable. The star was a free pattern we received at our recent hook-in - I love how she added colored pins to add to the design. It's stuffed with wool snippets leftover from her rug hooking projects. She found a quilty mug at a yard sale during the summer and made it into a pincushion that was embellished with some standing wool circles made into cute little flowers.


Jeanette also showed us her finished poppy rug - a Sharon Smith design. For some reason my favorite part is the single line border that changes color around the edge. Gorgeous rug!


She's now working on a dancing elephant rug for a granddaughter's Christmas gift. This design combines the girl's two favorite things - so clever - what a happy rug!


Victoria finished her Daniel rug that was designed by Tonia - she liked the original so much that she made it exactly the same. You can purchase the pattern on Tonia's website here.


And this is Tonia's newest design - a great floral. She has the knack of choosing colors that give a real old feel to her finished rugs.

I've been doing a little stitching on two projects with English paper piecing - hubby & I are taking a little trip next week while he attends a conference for work - so these will be perfect to take with me. I'll share a picture when I get home......






12 comments:

Janet O. said...

What a beautiful makeover for the recipe box!
Your finished rug so very pretty, Gayle!
I think that thin, multi-colored border on the poppy rug is a gorgeous touch. It almost seems to glow.
Love the little pincushions--both so cleverly made.
You seem to be doing a lot of traveling. Good think you have plenty of portable projects. Looking forward to seeing what you are paper piecing.

Saundra said...

Love the Margaret Shaw design and recipe box. And that Dancing Elephant will be a hit with a child and gets a hug from me too.

Saundra

annie said...

great projects!

Me and My Stitches said...

I just love your posts! So full of amazing projects and you know that I have hooker envy (lol!). Great idea for the little recipe box and now you can fill it with treasures!

Yvonne said...

Lovely things your group are making and you found a real Treasure for 1 dollar! Love what you did with it. Sorry I did not have the time to meet up with you. Things have been crazy in those few days. Hopefully next time.

Kyle said...

Gayle, your finished rug is beautiful. It's a great design. The show and tell was full of inspiration. All you girls do awesome work. Have fun on your trip. Hope you're going someplace warm.

The Wool Cupboard said...

Hi, Gayle! Love your crow rug...and the Daniel rug, too! Pin cushions are such fun to collect.. Your group always has lots of great projects and I'm so glad you share them on your blog!

Hugs, Linda

deerhollow said...

Hi Gayle! Such a fun post! So many beautiful pieces :) You get things done and inspire me!! And I loved seeing Jeanette's finished rug. You do such a beautiful job with your blog.

Sue SA said...

Love what you did with the recipe box! The floral rug is gorgeous, but the dancing elephant will be a real winner I am sure.

Lori said...

Love seeing your show and tell! Your little box is so creative. nice work. Enjoy your time away.

Karen said...

You took something plain and turned it into something very pretty. I am going to attempt needle punch. I don't see that anyone gave you an answer to the stretching problem. I would not think of it as stretching. I have heard that using muslin under the punch needle fabric gives some extra stability but have no experience with it. Do you do that?

Denise :) said...

Gayle, your work is lovely! The recipe box was completely enchanting - what a sweet way to repurpose a thrifty find! :)