Thursday, October 16, 2014

Fall Color & Miscellaneous

During the summer I snagged a small wooden workbench that had been abandoned at an old house, so I have plopped it in the middle of my front lawn and attached an old metal headboard to it for a focal point in my fall display. All the pumpkins & cornstalks came from our garden - I love the orange combined with the blue door on my house. Hubby & I are hoping to go riding in the mountains on our ATVs on Saturday - hope to see some pretty colors up there.



Back in May I won a giveaway from Jean who blogs at JLT Studios.  It was a kit for a small 6" square mat that came with a huge assortment of wool and other fibers - like yarn & sari silk & roving. It worked up quickly and it was fun using items that I don't have in my own supply closet.

I've been working on a design by Margaret Shaw that I bought on clearance at a local quilt shop - it was designed for using the Oxford Punch, but I'm hooking it the traditional way with my Hartman hook. Using some narrow cuts to get details on the monks cloth backing.


I have all the blocks for the Marcus Sew-Along up on my design wall. What a horrible time I had making those alternate black & cream blocks! I have never had so much difficulty EVER! Not sure if it was me or the instructions, but I cut wrong, sewed wrong, and wasted SO much fabric - argh! Glad that part is done - now I need to stitch them all together and add the borders. I'll be glad to finish this up...

I attended the annual Utah Hook-In on Saturday and have posted pictures of the day's events on the Guild's blog - go here if you'd like to see!


14 comments:

Janet O. said...

What a fun display in your yard.
That is such a pretty poppy-ish flower.
And I love the crow piece.
So will this quilt always call up frustration when you look at it? Too bad you had such trouble with the setting blocks. It is a great looking quilt!

Three Sheep Studio said...

Your rug hooking is grand !
Love the gorgeous colors in the quilt.
Autumn is so much fun decorating for and even better if you grow your own pumpkins and fixins !
Rose

Karen said...

You got the blocks together and looking good. Too bad you had so much trouble. I have only seen the layout for the blocks but not the setting blocks sewn together on any of the blogs.

We don't see a lot of fall displays in yards here. I miss that. That is why I like a trip north in the fall. But none happening this year.

Brenda said...

Beautiful display Gayle... Hubby and I just got back today from a trip up north in Wisconsin to the orchards. We took some windy roads thru small towns on our way back and it was absolutely enchanting! :)

annie said...

love your display!
the projects you always share are wonderful! hope you have a great time in the mountains!

Yvonne said...

Your quilt is going to be very pretty, too bad that it did not work as you would have wished. Your rugging is amazing! Have a nice weekend and enjoy the colors of autumn!

Me and My Stitches said...

Sorry the quilt gave you fits - but it looks great now! Love your hooking projects (as always!). Don't you just love the fall season? Great yard display!

Me and My Stitches said...

Hey...that link took me to the Marcus Blog, not your guild blog!

Me and My Stitches said...

Hey...that link took me to the Marcus Blog, not your guild blog!

Kyle said...

Your fall display is super cute with your own pumpkins. Love the garden bench find and the headboard. It all works together! I like the grey background on your latest rug project. It makes the flower and crow stand out without being very contrasty. Sorry about the sewing. Hopefully, the next sewing day will be extra smooth.

Lori said...

Super fun fall display in your yard. I bet it makes a lot of people smile.
Sorry to hear of the cutting/sewing problems. It can be so frustrating. The quilt looks really nice though, so I hope that is a consolation.

woolwoman said...

Gayle LOVE your fall display, it is so creative. Your family rug is just fantastic, a real heirloom with so much meaning. We just got back from vacation so I'm behind on blog reading. We saw lots of fall displays like yours, people don't do as much of that in Florida but I did get a pretty pumpkin and a mum plant for the table at my back door so I can see it every day. Enjoy the mountains and fall color. Mel

Lisa said...

Gayle everything looks great. The fall display is great. I love the pictures from the hookin. So many pretty things to get you inspired to do something creative. It has been too long for me. Thanks for sharing. Lisa

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Gayle, I love the workbench display on your front lawn! Love the mat too. Looks like a poppy. I have a collection of Poppy dishes that I love. The one you are working on is going to be gorgeous and your quilt looks fabulous! Would never know you had problems. Don't you hate that?
hugs,
Jann