Friday, April 18, 2014

Baby Quilt Lookin' Good

I've had so much fun making this little baby quilt for DD#2. Totally out of my normal sphere of color & design, but it made me stretch a bit and think out of my box.  It's a row quilt and I have all the rows completed - they just aren't sewn to each other yet. The finished size will be 35" x 48" or so. I won't add a border - just a binding in a color still to be determined.

I love the little bits of metallic that I included in the quilt - she's got touches of it throughout the nursery so I wanted to have some in the quilt too. And I added some rick rack for color & texture.

Wasn't sure of what fabric to use for the metallic, so I ended up buying a bit of gold lame and then ironed on some fusible interfacing to the back of it. I stitched up a little sample block and quilted it - then threw it in the wash a few times and it seems to be holding up just fine in spite of the fact that the fabric bolt said to dry clean it only.

We found that the best way for choosing the various colors was to pull paint chips from the hardware store - I carried them with me from quilt shop to quilt shop searching for the best match - worked great!


She found the inspiration for the quilt on Pinterest (of course),  a rug that is no longer available (photo below) - worked great for a quilt too, don't you think?



 I can't wait till the entire room is put together and I can give you a tour. Two months till her due date so we're both making good progress.

16 comments:

Janet O. said...

What a wonderful interpretation of the rug, Gayle! Though not my usual style, either, it is fun to switch it up now and then with something more bright and modern.
Great job, and a smart test run on the metallic fabric!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Sometimes it's fun to make a quilt outside our usual style ... a bit of a change of pace. I think that quilt is adorable!

Nedra said...

I REALLY love it Gayle! Great job!

Yvonne said...

That is so cute! It does remind me to at the beautiful Native rugs.

Raymond Homestead said...

Looks great Gayle!

Julia said...

Great job on that baby quilt Gayle.
I love how you made a sample to test for washability first. Very smart.
Happy Easter

Hugs,
JB

Cheryl said...

Looking good!

Rugs and Pugs said...

What a fun quilt!
Happy Easter :)
Lauren

Kyle said...

Cute as can be! What delightful colors for the new baby.

Lori said...

Your quilt turned out so cute! I love the idea of paint chips to help find fabric. Great tip!

Sue SA said...

How appropriate that you made a quilt from a rug design! Very moden and just lovely, the baby won't grow out of this design, as it is a classic. Very impressed you used metallic fabric, I had no idea it was so robust, just assumed it would fray, think you might start a new trend!

Me and My Stitches said...

What a great quilt - I love that it was inspired by the rug. So colorful and fun. I'm sure it will be loved for a long time!

audrey said...

I love how bold and fun this is! Very sweet.:)

Mimi Sue said...

Beautiful quilt, Gayle! Looks like you had fun on your little trip too. Mimi

Michelle said...

Wow...you did a great job recreating the pattern on the rug. Your DD will love it!

The Wool Cupboard said...

Your quilt is beautiful, Gayle! I love the way it has turned out.

Hugs, Linda