First I removed the existing seat and used liquid sandpaper to take the shine off the old finish so a new coat of paint would stick. I used spray paint, but after I was done I wished that I had used regular paint and a brush - oh well! Then I had to decide on a design for the new seat. I got my inspiration from reading Joanne's blog at Snippets and Scraps of My Mind who was making some really scrappy little rugs. I love that I got to use up a lot of my worms and yet make such a nice rug at the same time.
I had planned to put this up in my studio and use it when I hook my rugs, but I think it's going to stay in the living room to be used as extra seating when we have several people over to visit. The hooking makes for a nice padded seat and I think folks will like it! Here's a picture of what the chair looked like before I started the re-do.
I saw this cool old shoe rack at the antique store yesterday - sure wish I had room for it in my studio - it would look so nice loaded full of wool!